Main Page Content


Tuition and fees are due and payable by the payment due date (see Payment of Tuition, Fees, Room and Board). All costs are subject to change without notice.

Matriculated graduate students pay the graduate student rate regardless of the level of the course(s) taken. Non-degree status (non-matriculated) students with a baccalaureate degree who are:

  1. taking 11 or fewer credits of undergraduate courses, will be charged the appropriate undergraduate rate; or
  2. taking 11 or fewer credits of graduate courses, will be charged the appropriate graduate rate; or
  3. taking 12 or more credits of either undergraduate or graduate or both types of courses, will be charged the appropriate undergraduate rate for the undergraduate courses, and the appropriate graduate rate for the graduate courses, with a minimum of $2,175 and a maximum of $3,450 per semester for New York state resident students, and a minimum of $5,305 and a maximum of $5,460 per semester for non-resident students.

For billing purposes, certification graduate students are those non-degree status (nonmatriculated) students who are seeking New York state teacher certifi cation, but who are not enrolled in a master’s degree program. Th is designation includes:

  1. persons who have completed baccalaureate degrees and wish to complete the additional course work required for provisional or initial teacher certifi cation; and
  2. persons who hold teaching certifi cates and wish to complete the requirements for certifi cation in additional areas/levels of teaching.

Provisional or initial certifi cation graduate students pay according to the level of the course. Permanent or professional certifi cation graduate students pay the graduate student rate regardless of the level of course(s) taken.


The SUNY Board of Trustees has approved a tuition increase beginning with spring 2009 semester. For more information, see student charges provided by the Office of Student Accounts.

NYS Out-of-State
Tuition $6,900.00 $10,920.00
Room and Board 8,190.00 8,190.00
College Fee 25.00 25.00
BSG Fee 192.00 192.00
Student Health Center Fee 258.00 258.00
Technology Fee 263.00 263.00
Books and Supplies 1,000.00 1,000.00
Transportation 130.00 130.00
Personal 1,954.00 1,954.00
Average Loan Fees 122.00 122.00

New York State Residents—Part Time
Tuition $288.00 per credit
College Fee .85 per credit
Brockport Student Government Fee 8.00 per credit
Student Health Center Fee 10.75 per credit
Technology Fee 10.96 per credit

Out-of-State Residents—Part Time
Tuition $455.00 per credit
College Fee .85 per credit
Brockport Student Government Fee 8.00 per credit
Student Health Center Fee 10.75 per credit
Technology Fee 10.96 per credit

Tuition and fees are subject to change without prior notice. Consult the Office of Student Accounts Web page, for current tuition information and description/ policy on SUNY Brockport fees.


Eligibility for New York state tuition rates is based upon the student being a permanent resident of New York state. Living in New York state to attend college does not make a person a permanent resident of New York state. A person does not acquire a New York state domicile only by being physically present in New York for the sole purpose of attending college, nor by being physically present in New York state for a period of twelve months. Information on establishing eligibility for New York state tuition rates is available on the Office of Student Account Web page at Applications must be received prior to the start of the academic period of study in order to be considered for New York state tuition status eligibility effective for that term.


College Fee: A mandatory fee that applies to all students, regardless of class level or degree status. Brockport Student Government Fee: A mandatory fee that applies to all students, regardless of class level or degree status.
Student Health Center Fee: A mandatory fee that constitutes a major source of support for the College’s Health Service, which provides primary care to students through its out-patient clinic. Students enrolled for no courses on the SUNY Brockport campus will be automatically exempted from the fee. The fee will be waived for students taking only evening and weekend courses upon request to the Office of Student Accounts.
Technology Fee: A fee used to enrich the educational experience at SUNY Brockport by addressing technology needs in campus-wide computing, remote network access, public computer labs, software currency, library automation, expanded automation of student services and extended availability. It is automatically waived for overseas academic programs.

Optional Fees
Student Alumni Association Fee: A $20 per semester fee that grants membership to one of the largest organizations on campus. The Student Alumni Association offers a wide range of programs and services for SUNY Brockport students. Students who pay Association fees receive a valuable coupon booklet that provides discounts from many Brockport merchants. The Student Alumni Association also sponsors and co-sponsors special events on campus throughout the year. Interested students are encouraged to get involved by contacting the Division of Advancement, Office of Alumni Relations, 305 Allen Administration Building, (585) 395-2451.

Special Fees
Late-registration Fee: A required $40 fee for those students permitted to complete registration after the scheduled registration period.
Returned-checks Fee: A handling charge of up to $20 assessed for all dishonored checks. All dishonored checks returned to the Office of Student Accounts by the bank must be redeemed immediately in the Office of Student Accounts with cash, Visa or MasterCard, a money order or a bank’s cashier check.
Late-payment Fee: A $30 late-payment fee assessed to students who have not made payment by the end of the scheduled registration period.
Late-add/Course Withdrawal Fee: A $20 fee assessed as part of the late-add/course withdrawal process.

Course-related Fees
Some courses, by their nature, have additional fees associated with them. Examples of courserelated fees include:
Art Fees: These fees cover the cost of materials consumed in the preparation of artwork during courses in which the student retains the finished artwork.
Clinical Insurance Fee: This fee covers the cost of insurance for students involved in clinical affiliations associated with courses being taken. Examples of clinical affiliations include, but are not limited to, practica in health sciences, recreation and leisure studies, social work, nursing and psychology. Communication (CMC) Broadcast Fees: These fees cover the cost of required audio and videotapes used during laboratory course work.
Laboratory Breakage Deposit: A refundable deposit is required for students taking certain chemistry courses where laboratory glassware is assigned to students.


An enrolled student is defined as one who has registered for courses and accepted responsibility for all associated charges. SUNY Brockport refers to this as having AFFIRMED ENROLLMENT AND ACCEPTED FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY. Students are not required to submit payment in order to lock in their course registration schedule. However, whether the student registers online, in person, by mail or by fax, ALL students are required to go online and “affirm enrollment and accept financial responsibility” to lock in the course schedule. Course schedules will be reserved until a deadline published in the Schedule of Classes. If students have not affirmed enrollment and accepted financial responsibility by the published deadline, the course schedule will be removed. Subsequent registration activity will be subject to appropriate late fees.


Students who have registered for courses and affi rmed enrollment and accepted fi nancial responsibility must drop their courses prior to the start of classes to avoid fi nancial responsibility. Procedures for dropping classes are published in the Schedule of Classes and on the Web at Not attending does not constitute a drop or withdrawal from a course.


Students will receive monthly bills from the SUNY Brockport Office of Student Accounts. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that payment is received in the Office of Student Accounts by the payment due date in order to avoid late payment fees. Late fees of $30 will be assessed each month that payment is not received when due. The College reserves the right to place holds on records and services, which will prevent students from receiving grades, transcripts, registering for another semester or graduating until all financial obligations are satisfied.

Individual student account information is available through the online services of the SUNY Brockport home page. The student’s ID and PIN are used to access this information. Students can review their account transactions and balance. It is recommended that this information be reviewed on a regular basis in conjunction with invoices issued by the Office of Student Accounts. College policies and procedures concerning payment of College charges are located on the Office of Student Accounts section of the SUNY Brockport Web site at www.brockport. edu/bursar.

The general responsibility of students include:

  • going online and “affirming enrollment and accepting financial responsibility” to reserve courses and accept all associated charges for each semester of attendance;
  • keeping address information accurate and current on College records;
  • completing all financial aid requirements for financial aid awards used to pay College expenses.

Installment Payment Plan
SUNY Brockport’s Installment Payment Plan is designed to assist those students who may find it difficult to pay the total semester bill by the first day of classes. The total semester bills are those educational costs (tuition, fees, room and meal plan) due directly to the College, that are not covered by financial aid. Contact the Office of Student Accounts at (585) 395-2473 or access their Web site at for details. There is a charge of $35 per semester for the Installment Payment Plan.

Bills that are not paid or responded to by the due date are subject to a late payment fee of $30. If a student’s account is referred for collection, either to a private collection agency or to the New York State Attorney General, additional amounts for collection commissions (22%), interest and legal costs may be added to the student’s bill.


All tuition and fee refunds are effective on the date the student successfully processes the schedule adjustment online or on the date it is received in the Office of Registration and Records. The Online Registration System, mail or fax should be used for drops done on Saturdays or Sundays. See information and dates under “Drops” in the Schedule of Classes or on the Registration and Records Web site at for more details.

Tuition for full semester courses will be refunded according to the following schedule. See specific dates in the Schedule of Classes.

Courses Dropped Refund
1st week 100 percent
2nd week 70 percent
3rd week 50 percent
4th week 30 percent
5th week No refund

NOTE: Quarter courses and courses that meet for less than the full semester have individual refund schedules which are different from the refund schedule shown above. For refund information regarding such courses, please contact the Office of Registration and Records at (585) 395-2531.

Some fees are not refundable once the semester has begun. Tuition refunds will be made only when the student’s account is paid in full. For authorized drops from courses, tuition will be refunded according to the refund schedule. Examples of refund calculations are available on the Office of Student Accounts (Bursar), Web site at refund_calculations/htm.

College Fee – The College fee is not refundable after the semester has begun.

Course Related Fees – Course related fees are not refundable once the semester has begun in most cases. Exceptions include art fees and lab breakage fees. Students must supply a letter from the Department of Art to the Office of Student Accounts noting the amount of the appropriate refund. Chemistry students must check out of their lab breakage locker. Lab breakage refunds will be determined by the department at the end of the semester.

Room Refunds – Contact the Office of Residential Life at (585) 395-2122.

Meal Plan/Easy Money Refunds - Contact Brockport Auxiliary Services Corporation (BASC) at (585) 395-2570.

Parking Fee – Contact the Raye H. Conrad Welcome Center and Parking Services at (585) 395-2799.

Students dropping below full time or withdrawing from school who receive financial aid may have a portion of the refund returned to the program providing the aid. Additionally, financial aid refunds actually given to students may have to be repaid in accordance with federal regulations. Details are available in the Financial Aid Office. Federal refund/repayment regulations mandate specific refund/repayment formula in these instances.

Refunds of less than $5 are refunded by request only. The College Refund Committee considers cases in which students must drop or withdraw from courses for reasons beyond his/her control and in cases of extreme financial hardship due to non-refund. Any petitions for refunds, along with supporting documentation, must be forwarded in writing to: Chairperson, College Refund Committee, SUNY College at Brockport, 350 New Campus Drive, Brockport, NY 14420. Any such petition should be made as soon as possible. No money is refunded unless the petition for refund is made within one year after the end of the term for which the tuition was paid.

For further inquiries regarding tuition, fees and refunds, contact the Office of Student Accounts at (585) 395-2473.


The assessment of fees is necessary to provide students with services and benefits that cannot be funded by other means. Some fees are use-based. Parking fees, late-add/course-withdrawal fees, and Student Alumni Association fees are examples of use-based fees. Other fees are assessed to provide services and benefits to all students. These fees include the College fee, athletic fee, technology fee, Brockport Student Government fee and health fee. The College recognizes that some students have unique situations for which the assessment of a certain fee may not be appropriate. Many exceptional situations have already been programmed into the computer and the fees are not assessed for these situations. Fees are not waived for the following reasons: not wishing to pay fees; ownership of personal computer or access to the Internet at home; subscription to a health insurance plan; status as an adult or graduate student; and non-use of a particular service. For more information, access the Office of Student Accounts section of the SUNY Brockport Web site at


Critic Teacher Waivers
Critic teacher waivers, also referred to as B-143 waivers, may be submitted for waiver of tuition for periods of enrollment beginning with the next academic term immediately following the semester in which the service/supervising was rendered. There is no limit on the number of critic teacher waivers that a student may remit for each semester, but the amount of waivers submitted cannot exceed the total amount of tuition assessed on the student bill. Excess critic teacher waiver funds will not be refunded to the student, but will be returned to the Commissioner of Taxation and Finance to fund future critic teacher waivers. These waivers are transferable to employees of the same school district and must be approved by the authorized chief administrative officer of the school district.

Supervisor of Social Work Waivers
Supervisor of social work field placement waivers, also known as A-143 waivers, have an effective remittance date beginning with the next academic period immediately following the academic period in which the service was rendered. Tuition charges may be waived up to a maximum of eight (8) semester credits per term at SUNY Brockport. These waivers are not transferable.

UUP Waivers
The United University Professionals union contract and SUNY guidelines stipulate usage of the UUP tuition waiver on a space-available basis. To ensure student access to courses at SUNY Brockport, individuals intending to use a UUP tuition waiver for payment may not register for the course until after the end of the add period designated for that course. Students (UUP employees) who pre-register for a course in which they intend to use a UUP space-available waiver will become liable for the full cost of tuition for that course. This policy is enforced at SUNY Brockport and is applicable to all UUP employees regardless of the employing campus.


As aid checks arrive on campus, the Office of Student Accounts will send them to the student at the student’s local address the following day. Direct deposit to the bank account of the student’s choice is also available. In some cases, the financial aid award is greater than the charges due. In these cases, when aid checks arrive at the Office of Student Accounts, charges due are automatically paid. Refunds, if any, are given to the student. College policy is to make available to the student any excess financial aid from the first aid that arrives (except TAP) at the College. TAP must be applied against tuition before any excess aid is returned to the student. Any subsequent aid that arrives will be given to the student as long as his/her account is paid in full.

Note: Students receiving financial aid who drop below full time or withdraw from school may have a portion of their refund returned to the program providing the aid. Additionally, financial aid funds actually given to students may have to be repaid in accordance with federal regulations. Specific details are available in the Financial Aid Office.



All students who are matriculated, legal residents of New York state and are full time or have equivalent full-time status are eligible to apply for assistance under the Tuition Assistance Program. For purposes of TAP eligibility, full time is normally defined as 12 graduate credits. Those students who are graduate assistants, research assistants or are working on thesis research should contact the TAP Clerk in the Office of Student Accounts for details regarding equivalent fulltime status for TAP eligibility. Students who are at least half-time and who have a documented disability on file at the Office for Students with Disabilities may be eligible for a part-time TAP award. Students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for TAP. If the FAFSA is electronically processed on the Web, students will be directly transferred to the TAP application Web site. Students should complete this page and click “Submit.” If a student does not complete the form or is not transferred to the TAP Web site, the student should visit the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (NYSHESC) Web site at and click on “Students,” then “Apply for TAP.” FAFSA forms are available in January for the next academic year. Awards range between $75 and $550 per year. Students must reapply each year. Students are advised that continued eligibility for TAP awards requires that students maintain Good Academic Standing.


To be considered for federal financial aid programs, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and must be matriculated. Th e FAFSA form may be filed on the Web at Applications should be fi led by March 15 for consideration for an award for the next academic year.

Federal College Work-Study Program (CWSP)
Th is program offers jobs to matriculated students demonstrating financial need and desiring to work. Positions are available in almost every department and administrative office. Every effort is made to correlate the job with the student’s interest and schedule.

William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans)
These federal loans are for matriculated students who are enrolled at least half-time (six credits). They have a low fixed interest rate and repayment begins six months after the student graduates or falls below half-time enrollment. The two types of Federal Stafford Loans are subsidized and unsubsidized. The US Department of Education pays the interest that accrues on the subsidized loans while the borrower is enrolled for at least six credits and during their grace period. In order to be eligible for the subsidized loan the student must show financial need. The unsubsidized version is not need based and interest does accrue during in-school periods. Apply yearly by filing the FAFSA during the spring to ensure funds for the fall. No separate application is required.

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan
Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loans are available to graduate students who wish to obtain a loan to assist with the cost of education. The loan approval is based on the borrower’s credit history. Th is loan has a fi xed interest rate and repayment begins 60 days after the last disbursement date. Payment of this loan may be deferred by completing a separate application with the US Department of Education. The borrower must fill out the FAFSA and complete an institutional request form to apply.

Federal Perkins Loan
The Federal Perkins Loan is a low-interest (5%) loan for matriculated students with exceptional financial need. Repayment of the loan begins nine months after the student graduates or falls below half-time enrollment.


Both the federal and the state governments require that students meet certain basic standards of scholarship in order to remain eligible for financial assistance. These standards have to do with how many credits students attempt each semester, how many credits they accumulate, and the grade point average they attain while doing so. Please note carefully that the federal and the state government standards are not identical. This means that students must pay attention to two slightly different sets of rules, depending on whether they are receiving federal Title IV aid — Staff ord Loans (Guaranteed Student Loans), College Work Study, Perkins Loans (National Direct Student Loans) — or state aid such as TAP. In most cases, if a student is moving steadily along toward a degree, the student is probably in no danger. Students must beware of the state’s “Pursuit of Program” requirement, however, which insists that students complete a certain number of credits each semester. This can surprise a perfectly satisfactory student who drops below the required minimum in a semester, for reasons that have nothing to do with being in academic difficulty. There is one significant difference between the two standards that students should know. State standards require that the College evaluate the progress of state aid recipients at the completion of each semester, while progress according to federal standards is evaluated each academic year, at the end of the spring semester.



  1. Full-time Awards:
    • Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
    • Persian Gulf Veterans Tuition Awards
    • Vietnam Veterans Tuition Assistance Program (VVTA)
    • Military Service Recognition Scholarship (MSRS)
  2. Part-time Awards (special requirements apply in some instances):
    • Persian Gulf Veterans Awards
    • Vietnam Veterans Tuition Assistance Program (VVTA)

Students who receive New York state financial awards are required to maintain good academic standing in order to remain eligible. The State Education Department, for these purposes, defines a student in good academic standing as one who (1) pursues the program of study in which the student is enrolled (Pursuit of Program); and (2) makes satisfactory academic progress toward the completion of the student’s program requirements (Satisfactory Academic Progress). These are defined as follows:

Pursuit of Program*
State regulations define program pursuit as receiving either a passing or a failing grade in a certain percentage of a full-time course load. The percentage increases from 50 percent of the minimum full-time load in each semester of the first year of award (six credits each semester), to 75 percent each semester of the second award year (nine credits each semester), to 100 percent each semester of the third and fourth award years (12 credits each semester). In general, graduate students are expected to complete 100 percent, 12 credits, starting with the first semester of a graduate program. Students who fail to meet these standards become ineligible to receive an award during the succeeding semester and remain ineligible until good standing is regained. (For details on regaining eligibility or waiving eligibility standards, see below.)

Generally, the State Education Department will accept any grade that indicates that the student attended the course for the entire semester and completed all necessary assignments. By these standards, both passing and failing grades are acceptable. However, “W” (Withdrawal) grades are not acceptable. Grades of “I” and “PR” are acceptable because they are automatically changed to either a passing or failing grade before the completion of the succeeding semester or within a specific period of time.

Satisfactory Academic Progress*
Satisfactory Academic Progress is defined both in terms of the number of credits completed and the grade point average attained at the end of a given semester. To remain eligible for awards, students must meet the following minimum standards: (Special conditions apply for part-time student awards.)

Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards for Awards for Graduate Students:

Semester Credit Accumulated Toward
Graduation Prior to Semester
1 0 .00
2 6 2.00
3 12 2.50
4 21 2.75
5 30 3.00
6 45 3.00
7 60 3.00
8 75 3.00

As shown in the above table, full-time students are not expected to have earned college credits in order to be eligible for their first award payment. For the second payment, a graduate student must have earned six credits toward graduation, with a GPA of 2.00 or better; for the third, to have completed 12 credits with a cumulative GPA of 2.50; and so on. Grades of “I” and “PR” are not counted toward either completion rate or GPA until they are changed to a passing or failing grade.

* These standards apply only to students who received their TAP award in September 1981 or later. Students who received their first TAP award prior to September 1981 can be advised of applicable standards by the Office of Academic Advisement.

Transfer and Readmitted Students
Transfer students and students readmitted to the College after an absence of at least one year will be placed on the above scale either in accordance with the number of credits earned toward graduation or the number of TAP payments previously received, whichever is more beneficial to the student. For example, a transfer student who has received three TAP payments and earned 10 credits would be placed at (payment) semester two, rather than (payment) semester three.

Loss and Reinstatement of Student Eligibility
Students who fail to maintain good academic standing, either through failure in Pursuit of Program or in making Satisfactory Academic Progress, become ineligible for further awards. Eligibility may be regained (and payments restored) by either of the following methods:

  1. Achieving the required GPA and/or number of credits during a semester of attendance in which no state award is paid.
  2. Transferring to another institution.
  3. Being readmitted to SUNY Brockport after an absence of one calendar year or more. (Acceptance at Brockport or another institution is deemed evidence of a student’s ability to complete successfully an approved program.)
  4. Waiver of eligibility.

Waiver of Eligibility Standards for State Awards
Students who fail to meet state standards for either Pursuit of Program or Satisfactory Academic Progress may request a waiver of these standards that will allow them to continue to receive award payments for the succeeding semester. When such a waiver has been granted for failure to make Satisfactory Academic Progress, the student is expected to use the semester to advance to the level the student could not achieve without the waiver. The waiver may be used if the student fails in Pursuit of Program, fails to make Satisfactory Academic Progress, or fails by both standards. However, Pursuit of Program and Satisfactory Academic Progress may not be waived separately for different semesters.

Students are eligible for only one waiver as an undergraduate student (not one for each institution attended), and one waiver as a graduate student. However, the granting of such a waiver is not automatic; it is intended only to accommodate extraordinary or unusual situations. The waiver process must include an assessment of the reasons for a student’s failure to meet the established requirements for good standing, and the decision to grant the waiver must be based upon a reasonable expectation that the student will meet future requirements.

Notification of Ineligibility for State Financial Awards
Since payment of state awards is made through the Office of Student Accounts, students who fail to maintain good academic standing, and therefore are ineligible for a state award, will be notified by the Office of Student Accounts. Students affected are encouraged to discuss their status with a member of the Academic Advisement staff or with the TAP Certifying Officer located in the Office of Student Accounts.

Additional Requirement to Maintain State Financial Aid Eligibility

Repeat of “C” Grades Repeat of any course at the graduate level in which a passing grade (C or above) has already been received and which the College does not require the student to repeat may not be considered as part of that student’s minimum course load for financial aid purposes. In other words, the student would have to be registered for 12 or more different credits in order to be considered as a full-time student. In addition, the repeated course may not be considered in determining whether the student has met the Pursuit of Program requirement and is in good academic standing.


Students are advised that continued eligibility for federal financial aid awards requires that students maintain Federal Good Academic Standing. Award programs applicable to graduate students and affected by the federal standards include:

Federal Perkins Loans
Federal College Work-Study
William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans – (Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans)

Federal law requires that satisfactory academic progress standards be measured in both quantitative (i.e., time frame for program completion) and qualitative terms (i.e., academic performance).

Maximum Time Frame Standard
Students receiving funds under Title IV must complete their degrees within 150 percent of the published program length as measured in credits or forfeit federal aid eligibility. For example, for a program requiring 30 credits, a student could not attempt more than 45 credits to complete the degree.

The maximum time frame standard evaluation for transfer students will consider only those credits attempted at SUNY Brockport or accepted for transfer credit by the academic program in which the student is enrolled.

Academic Performance Standard
A student must be making satisfactory academic progress at the end of each academic year to be eligible for federal financial aid. This means that students who have attempted at least nine graduate credits at SUNY Brockport must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 and successfully complete at least two-thirds of the credits attempted at SUNY Brockport (known as completion rate). Failure to meet this standard results in financial aid probation. Students on aid probation are still able to receive federal aid.

If, after the probationary period, the student is still not making satisfactory academic progress, the student may become ineligible for federal financial aid until he/she again achieves the required standard. In exceptional situations, students who become ineligible may be granted an extension to their probationary period. Please note that for federal aid, readmission to the College after an absence does not automatically mean reinstatement of aid eligibility.

In calculating the completion rate, the following grades are treated as attempted but not successfully completed: E, I, PR, N, U and W. Courses that are repeated to improve a grade are counted as attempted each time they are taken, but are only counted as completed once. Unlike the TAP program, every semester is considered when measuring the completion rate, whether or not the student received federal financial aid.

Regaining Eligibility for Federal Financial Aid
Appeals for Mitigating Circumstances — Occasionally students will fail to meet the established standards for reasons beyond their control. Such students may appeal their loss of eligibility, and if SUNY Brockport’s designated Appeals Committee deems their performance to have been significantly hampered by such “mitigating circumstances,” they will be permitted to continue in good standing for financial aid purposes under Title IV regulations. Such mitigating circumstances include serious family problems, extended illness and similar situations. All appeals must be submitted in writing to the Financial Aid Office, Rakov Center for Student Services, and should include a complete description of the circumstances that led to the academic difficulty and a plan for future academic success. Copies of supporting documentation should be included.

A student who loses eligibility may also regain it by successfully completing courses at SUNY Brockport with grades sufficient to meet the stated requirements. Such courses must be funded without benefit of Title IV aid and under no circumstances will aid be paid retroactively for those courses once eligibility has been re-established.

Upon completion of these courses, a student should submit a written request to the Financial Aid Office for re-evaluation of eligibility. The request will be reviewed by a committee of academic and financial professional staff whose determination is final.


Graduate and Teaching Assistantships
SUNY Brockport offers a finite number of graduate assistantships and teaching assistantships that provide a stipend and a tuition scholarship for nine credits per semester. Graduate students applying for an assistantship must be matriculated upon entry to the College, must complete a TAP application or submit an affidavit attesting to their ineligibility, and must be pursuing graduate study on a full-time basis. Since teaching assistants are involved in the instructional process, matriculation in the sponsoring department’s graduate program is most often a qualification for the position. Both graduate assistants (GAs) and teaching assistants (TAs) work 15-20 hours per week as assigned. Assistants are assigned to faculty mentors who guide their work in keeping with career-related and professional goals.

The responsibility for recommending candidates for graduate and teaching assistantships rests with the sponsoring department or program. The department or program determines required qualifi cations and screens applicants. Applicants should be aware that submission of a résumé is required as part of the appointment process. Recommendation for appointment to an assistantship is made by the department/program to the Dean of Graduate Studies, upon the recommendation of the school dean. The Dean of Graduate Studies awards the assistantship. Graduate/teaching assistants failing to maintain full-time status risk termination of the assistantship.

The department or program will evaluate the performance of the GA/TA for renewal purposes at the end of the first year. The criteria for evaluation will vary according to the discipline and the tasks assigned. The department/program will recommend renewal or non-renewal for a second year. Normally the assistantship will not exceed two years. Students assigned to graduate/ teaching assistantships must maintain full-time status.

Further information on graduate and teaching assistantships is available from the Office of Graduate Studies, (585) 395-2525.

Research Assistantships
Research assistantships are funded by grants and contracts awarded to the College from outside agencies. The responsibility for awarding research assistantships rests with the project director of the grant or contract. Stipends vary among projects and may not include a waiver of tuition. Students should contact the department in which they wish to pursue their program in order to determine the availability of such awards.

Graduate Diversity Fellowships
The State University of New York offers a small number of competitive graduate fellowships to students who have been admitted to graduate or professional study and who will contribute to the diversity of the student body in the graduate or professional program in which enrollment is sought. This program assists the University in the recruitment, enrollment and retention of students in doctoral and master’s level programs who can demonstrate that they would contribute to the diversity of the student body, especially those who can demonstrate that they have overcome a disadvantage or other impediment to success in higher education.

Economic disadvantage, although not a requirement, may be the basis for eligibility under this category. Membership in a racial/ethnic group that is underrepresented in the graduate or professional program involved may serve as a plus factor in making awards, but is not the sole basis of the awards. Every student applicant is evaluated on his or her own merits.

Fellowships are restricted to students who are US Citizens or Permanent Residents. Fellows must be matriculated by the beginning of the first semester of the award period and plan to attend SUNY Brockport full time.

The fellowships, limited in number within budgetary constraints, provide stipends of $7,500 for the academic year, plus a tuition scholarship for 9 credits of coursework at the in-state rate each fall and spring semester for a maximum of four semesters. Coursework funded by this tuition scholarship must be part of the approved Plan of Study.

Openings in the fellowship program are announced on the Office of Graduate Studies Web site, Applications are available on the Web site when openings are announced.

Fellows are expected to adhere to and comply with all policies and procedures in place. Students who interrupt their program of study and/or fail to attend SUNY Brockport on a full-time basis in any given semester for any reason will forfeit the fellowship. Recipients are required to apply for other financial aid available to them through other sources (Pell Grant, TAP, etc.). Fellows are expected to work 15 hours per week in the academic department to which they are assigned. They must also meet their academic department’s standards of excellence in completing work assignments each semester.

College Scholarships and Awards
For detailed information about the full range of graduate scholarships and awards, contact the Scholarship Office at (585) 395-5414, the Office of Graduate Studies, (585) 395- 2525, or consult the College’s publication entitled Financing Your Graduate Education. Information about these scholarships and awards also may appear in departmental bulletins.

Alumni Association Awards
The SUNY Brockport Alumni Association, (585) 395-2451, sponsors the following awards for graduate students:

Current Student Awards
Two $2,000 awards are made yearly to full or part-time undergraduate or graduate students who have strong scholastic achievement, co-curricular activity, community service and employment experience.

Graduate Award I
One $2,000 award is made annually to a full- or part-time (minimum of six credits) matriculated graduate student who has demonstrated scholastic achievement, co-curricular activity, community service and employment experience.

Graduate Award II
One $2,000 award is made annually to a SUNY Brockport undergraduate alumnus/a who is a full- or part-time (minimum of six credits) matriculated graduate student who has demonstrated scholastic achievement, co-curricular activity, community service and employment experience.

Private Scholarships and Awards

The Scholarship Office Resource Center in the Scholarship Office offers multi-media resources to assist students in locating private funding. Students seek these scholarships on their own or with assistance from the Scholarship Office. Scholarships and awards are made as specified by the agency offering the scholarship. Locally determined scholarships and awards are publicized on a weekly basis. Students should have a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file in the Financial Aid Office if they want to be considered for a locally determined grant or monetary award that is based on financial need.

ROTC Scholarships
For graduate students matriculated in one of the College’s graduate degree programs, the Military Science Department at SUNY Brockport offers scholarship opportunities through the Army Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) that lead to an Officer’s commission in the United States Army, Army Reserve, or Army National Guard. Recipients of these scholarships enroll in select undergraduate military science courses that provide students with the theoretical and practical application of leadership and management principles, training in basic military skills, an introduction into the application of military history, and education in the duties and responsibilities of Commissioned Officers. These courses are in addition to those proscribed by the student’s graduate degree requirements.

Army ROTC merit-based scholarships pay for four full-time academic semesters of full tuition and fees (up to $8,000 for graduate students at Brockport) or up to $10,000 for room and board. Both options include an allotment for textbooks of $900 ($450 each semester) and a monthly stipend of $450 in the first year and $500 in the second. Admission into the ROTC scholarship program and receipt of any Army ROTC scholarship requires the acceptance and approval of the Professor of Military Science.

Graduate applicants for an ROTC Scholarship must meet specific physical requirements, complete five military science courses, and satisfy one of the following options with the approval of the Professor of Military Science:

  1. Completion of a special accelerated program of study (for those with no military service background).
  2. OR
  3. Prior honorable military service in any component or branch of the Armed Forces, which includes as a minimum successful completion of military basic training.
  4. OR
  5. Completion of a special five-week summer training program conducted off campus; all expenses paid by the United States Army.

Note: Military science courses at SUNY Brockport carry undergraduate credits and, as such, are not applicable toward meeting the graduate credit requirements for a master’s degree.

For further information, contact the Department of Military Science – United States Army ROTC, C29 Cooper Hall, (585) 395-2249.

Last Updated 11/20/18

Close mobile navigation