Students in class

Main Page Content


Course numbers indicate the level of the course and restrictions as follows:

Course Numbers Description
500–599 Introductory graduate courses.
600–699 Courses that involve in-depth study of a subject at the graduate level and that usually have prerequisites. All programs require a minimum of 15 credits at this level or above.
700–799 Courses designed for and restricted to students matriculated in the departments’ degree programs.
800–899 Courses designed for and restricted to students matriculated in CAS programs.

Note: No 400-level course credit may be upgraded to the 500-level, even by the completion of additional work. If credit at the 400-level exists on the student’s transcript, no credit will be awarded for the corresponding 500-level course.

Key to Course Listings in this Publication
Cr. Credits earned by successfully completing the course.
Fall Course is usually offered only in the fall semester.
Spring Course is usually offered only in the spring semester.
Summer Course is usually offered only in SummerSession.
No Semester Indicated Course is offered irregularly or to be announced.

The semester in which the course is offered is indicated at the end of each course listing, based on information available at the time of publication. Refer to the Schedule of Classes published each semester for the latest course information.


Independent and directed-study options provide the opportunity for students to study individually with an instructor on a contractual basis. Both of these options require the approval of a sponsoring instructor.

Independent Study
Independent-study courses permit graduate students to pursue topics studied previously in greater depth. A content outline for each independent-study course is developed through consultation between the student and the instructor-sponsor to suit the needs and interests of the student, and the special competence of the instructor. To be eligible for independent study at the graduate level, a student must: (1) have completed six credits of course work at the graduate level; and (2) be able to demonstrate adequate background for the area in which the course is to be taken.

No more than two independent-study courses will be approved for any one regular semester (and no more than one in any summer session), and all such courses must be included within the normal course load. Each independent-study course may not exceed six credits and must be identified as liberal arts or professional credit. No more than nine credits of independent-study courses may be included in a degree program.

Directed Study
Directed study is a possible option only when a course is not offered during the semester or session in which the student wishes to enroll. Most courses listed in the Graduate Studies Catalog may be taken for credit on a directed-study basis with appropriate approvals as indicated below. Directed study does not require an outline since the material covered in a directed-study course is essentially the same as that covered when the course is offered in a traditional format. A student may carry no more than one directed-study course per semester or per summer session.

Students who wish to take a course on an independent or directed-study basis should begin the process well in advance of registration, since published registration deadlines are applicable to these courses. Independent and Directed Study Application Forms and the Independent Study Outline Form may be obtained from the academic department in which the course is to be taken or from the Office of Academic Advisement. The application must be signed by the student, the instructor-sponsor and the department chairperson. The completed form(s) should be submitted by the student to the Office of Registration and Records at the time of registration.


Auditing a course allows a person to regularly attend and participate in a course at SUNY Brockport without formal registration in the course. It is the only way that persons not registered for a course are allowed to regularly attend and participate. Any matriculated, registered SUNY Brockport students, faculty and staff who are enrolled for at least 12 credits, or any citizens of New York state who are 60 years of age or older are eligible to audit College courses. The prospective auditor must obtain the course instructor’s approval of the auditing arrangement in advance and submit the completed Permission to Audit Form to the Office of Registration and Records. Auditing is a privilege and no one can claim a right to audit any specific course at a specific time.

The policy on auditing courses can be found in its entirety in Your Right to Know & Academic Policies Handbook.


Faculty members have the right and the responsibility to determine the form and content of end-of-the-semester examinations, subject to various departmental regulations. In some instances, these examinations are comprehensive “final” types, and in others they will cover only the last unit of the course. In any case, choosing the nature of examinations on course content is the responsibility of the instructor.

Whether the end-of-the-semester examination is comprehensive or “last-unit” in nature, the College requires that it be administered at a specific time during the period established for final examinations, and that the schedule for such exams be published by the Registrar’s Office no later than mid-semester. The final examination schedule is published in the Schedule of Classes. While the general rule to be followed is that no major examinations are to be given during the last week of classes, exceptions are made for short quizzes and assessments in skills courses. There is one more exception: If an instructor elects a take-home examination, s/he may establish a due date either during the last week of classes or during the following final examination period.

If a student has more than two examinations scheduled on a given day during finals week, or two examinations scheduled for the same time period, s/he has the right to request rescheduling of one of the examinations. If this happens, an effort should be made to find a time for the rescheduled examination that is “mutually agreeable” to both the student and the instructor. In case a mutual agreement cannot be reached, the department chair or school dean will decide when the examination is to be administered.


Cumulative Grade Point Average
For students admitted fall 2003 or later, all graduate courses completed and/or attempted are included in determining a graduate student’s official semester and cumulative GPA. The cumulative GPA is calculated at the end of SummerSession, as well as at the end of each academic year semester. Both an overall cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 and a GPA of at least 3.0 for courses included in the Plan of Study are required for graduation.

Grading System
A letter grade is given for every course for which a student has registered. At the graduate level, academic credit is earned for grades of “A,” “A–,” “B+,” “B,” “B–,” “C+,” “C,” or “S.” No credit is awarded for grades of “E,” “U” (Unsatisfactory), “I” (Incomplete), “PR” (In Progress), and “AU” (Audit).

The following letter grades carry quality points that are the basis for computing the student’s cumulative grade point average (GPA):

Grade Quality Points
A 4.00
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B 3.00
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C 2.00
E 0.00
AU 0.00

Please note that S/U grades carry no quality points.

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grades
A limited number of Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grades, not to exceed nine credits, may be used in specified courses and teacher education practica at the 500 or 600 level with departmental approval. Additional credits on a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory basis may be taken at a 700 level or above with departmental approval. An “S” grade shall indicate that work completed is at least “B” quality; an “S” grade is not calculated in the grade point average (GPA).

Incomplete Grades
An “I” (Incomplete) is assigned as a grade for a course only at the discretion of the instructor on the basis of convincing evidence that the student was unable to complete all of the required work for the course because of circumstances beyond the student’s control. In such cases, the instructor and the student execute and sign an Incomplete Contract stating the work to be completed by the student, the date by which it must be completed, and the alternate grade to be assigned if the work is not submitted. When the student completes the work as stated on the contract, the instructor reports the grade earned in the manner prescribed on the “I” contract form. The grade given upon completion is recorded beside the “I” on the transcript. If the Office of Registration and Records does not receive either a grade report or a notice of extension from the instructor within 30 days after the date assigned for the completion of the work, the registrar records the alternate grade and notifies the instructor of that action. A student who received an “I” grade may not register for that course while the “I” is in effect.

An “I” grade received during the fall semester must be completed by the end of the following spring semester. An “I” grade received during either the spring semester or summer session must be completed by the end of the following fall semester. Extension is granted by the instructor only in those instances where completion of the required work is not possible due to circumstances beyond the student’s control. The time limit for extensions may not exceed the equivalent of an additional semester, with the following exception: At the graduate level, extensions may be granted for up to two years for the completion of the required culminating experience.

In-progress Grades
Certain courses are by design not finished in one semester. For such courses, a “PR” grade is recorded instead of an “I” grade. The “PR” is changed to a letter grade upon completion of the course.

The PR designation may remain on the transcript for a maximum of two semesters, unless the instructor designates a shorter time period. At the end of the second semester or at the instructor-designated deadline, the “PR” grade is automatically changed to an “I.”

It is the student’s responsibility to initiate discussion with the instructor during the semester in which the “I” appears on the transcript to determine what is needed to complete the course. One semester after the “I” grade is posted, the registrar will automatically record an “E,” unless the instructor submits an extension or another grade. A “PR” grade must be cleared from any course listed on the Plan of Study before the student can graduate. A student may not register for a second time for a course for which a “PR” grade is currently on record.

Repeating Courses
Unless otherwise prohibited by departmental policy, students are permitted to repeat courses in which they have earned a grade below “B.” Only the new grade earned during the most recent ­repeat of a course, whether it is higher, lower or the same, will be used in computing a student’s cumulative grade point average. All attempted courses and grades remain on the transcript.

Change of Grade
Changing any recorded grade is the responsibility of the instructor concerned. To change a grade, the instructor must complete a Change of Grade Form indicating the desired change and the reason for it. Change of Grade Forms are available to faculty members from the Office of Registration and Records. The course instructor should complete the Change of Grade Form and send it to the department chairperson and then to the appropriate dean for signatures. The form with all required signatures should then be sent to the Office of Registration and Records for processing.

Student Grade Appeals
The course instructor is the person best-qualified to evaluate student performance and has the professional obligation and responsibility to do so. Student grades will summarize an instructor’s expert evaluation of individual student achievement in a course. To assist students effectively and to avoid misunderstandings, instructors are required to provide clear statements of the objectives and standards of the course and of their grading procedures, usually as part of the course syllabus or sometimes in other course materials. This information will be provided at the beginning of the course and the student will be kept apprised of how well s/he is meeting these objectives during the progress through the semester. The course instructor is expected to keep accurate grade records and to be available to demonstrate how s/he has determined the student’s grade in accordance with his/her announced grading policy.

Questions and issues about a final course grade are usually settled informally by a discussion between the student and instructor. If such a discussion does not resolve the dispute, the student can choose to file a formal grade appeal. The Student Grade Appeals policy can be found in Your Right to Know & Academic Policies Handbook. Students should be aware that there are deadlines that must be observed in the grade appeals process. There are only two reasons for which a grade appeal will be accepted and might be successful. The student will have to prove—1) that a lower final grade resulted because the instructor did not make the grading policy and standards known to the students at the beginning of the semester as required, or 2) that the instructor did not correctly apply the announced policy and standards in determining the student’s grade. Although all the student’s grades in a course may be evidence in a grade appeal, only the final course grade can be appealed.


Note: Students should carefully review the published policies and standards of the graduate program in which they are matriculated. Programs may delineate policies and standards which are more stringent than those prescribed at the College-wide level. Programs may adopt new graduate policies that are implemented between printings of the catalog, provided that this information is distributed to all graduate students in the program and made publicly available.

Plan of Study
By the end of the first semester in matriculated status, every graduate student must obtain approval of a Plan of Study from the academic department in which the student is enrolled. The department retains one copy of the approved plan, files one copy with the Office of Registration and Records, and provides one copy to the student. Any student who does not secure approval of a Plan of Study by the end of his/her first matriculated semester will lose matriculated status.

All graduate work being applied toward the student’s Plan of Study must have been taken no more than five years prior to her/his date of matriculation.

Graduate Transfer Credit
A maximum of 12 credits earned at other colleges and universities may be transferred into a degree program with the department’s approval. No course may be transferred into a degree program that carries a grade of less than “B” on an official transcript. In order for transfer credit to be formally acknowledged by the campus, final official transcripts must be received by the Office of Registration and Records.

There is no institutional residency requirement for students enrolled in graduate degree programs at SUNY Brockport.

Continuous Enrollment Policy
Continuous enrollment requires, at a minimum, the completion of one graduate-level course each 12 months. A matriculated student who discontinues enrollment, unless granted a leave of absence, will lose matriculated status and must reapply for readmission. Should admission be offered at that time, the applicant must then meet any new requirements for admission, as well as any new requirements for the degree at the time of readmission.

Time Limit for Completion of Graduate Degree
Degree requirements must be completed within five years of the date of matriculation.* An extension to this five-year limit may be requested through the graduate program director. If an extension is granted and the requirements are not completed by the end of the extension period, the student will lose matriculation status. At that point the student must apply for re-admission to the program and will lose credit for courses taken more than five years prior to the new matriculation date.

*Note: An exception to this time limit allows seven years for the completion of both the Masters in Public Administration and the Masters in Mental Health Counseling.

Credits Required for Graduation
Master’s degree programs require a minimum of 30 graduate credits. The maximum number of credits will depend upon the requirements of the department involved and the approval of the appropriate campus and state authorities. At least 15 credits must be taken at the 600 level or above. The student must complete a minimum of 12 credits in fulfillment of degree requirements after matriculation, even if the current matriculated status is the result of a readmission, or is the result of a student’s change from one program to another.

The Master of Fine Arts in Dance is a 60-credit program in a five-semester sequence and is recognized as a terminal degree in the field. Ordinarily no more than nine credits of MFA independent-study courses may be included in a degree program without departmental approval.

Comprehensive Examination/Culminating Experience
Each degree program may require, at the department’s option, a comprehensive examination. The date of the examination is established by the department. Candidates are offered no more than two opportunities to complete the examination successfully.

As an alternative, graduate programs may require another form of culminating experience; e.g., a thesis or a final project.

Research or Thesis Credits
Each master’s degree candidate is required to demonstrate the ability to conduct research or other scholarly/creative work in fulfillment of the competency expected for an advanced graduate degree. Six credits within master’s or certificate of advanced study programs are normally applied to thesis and/or final project work. However, this may increase beyond six credits in order to permit the student to maintain continuous enrollment (see below for SUNY Brockport’s Thesis Continuation Credit policy).

Thesis Continuation Credit Policy
Graduate students who (1) have registered for the maximum number of program thesis/project credits included in their graduate program’s standard curriculum and (2) have not yet completed the thesis/project, must register for one thesis continuation credit course (TCC 700) each semester until the thesis /project has been completed and approved. Continuance credits do not count toward degree requirements, nor do grades for these credits carry quality points used in the calculation of the GPA.

Policy on Use of Human Subjects in Research
All research involving human subjects must be reviewed and approved prior to initiating the research. The Institutional Review Board for Research on Human Subjects has developed a unified Human Subjects Research Review Form, which is used in submitting proposals. Additional forms may be required if equipment is used in the project or if the project involves psychological or physiological intervention or risk to subjects. To comply with federal regulations, all persons submitting a proposal for IRB approval must also complete an online educational module on the protection of human subjects. All forms and information on the online educational module are available from the Grants Development Office, 610 Allen Administration Building, (585) 395-5118.

Binding of Thesis
Students whose program requires a thesis should obtain a copy of the Guidelines for Master’s Thesis Preparation from the department or graduate program director. It is the responsibility of the student to follow the guidelines established in this document. Choice of citation and bibliographic style will vary by discipline, but the thesis format should be consistent with these guidelines.

The original and one copy of the thesis are bound and housed in Drake Library. The original is kept as an archival copy and does not circulate. The second copy is shelved in the main collection and may be borrowed by library users. The cost for binding is paid by the library. Additional copies for the student’s personal use can be bound through the library at the student’s expense. More information on thesis binding is available on the Library’s Web page:

Completion of Degree Program and Commencement
Completion of the Graduate Application for Graduation/Graduation Data Card is the first step in the graduation review process. This application should be obtained from and returned to the Office of Registration and Records by mid-term of the semester in which the student intends to graduate. Once the Office of Registration and Records has received the Graduate Application for Graduation, the Commencement Office will send information about ­commencement to the candidate. Notification of the degree confirmation is sent from the Office of Registration and Records to the student upon completion of the final graduation review at the end of each semester. Diplomas are mailed several weeks later to the address given on the Graduate Application for Graduation.

Students who complete a degree from SUNY Brockport that includes an approved program of teacher preparation for certification are eligible for the College’s recommendation for a teaching credential. Approved programs satisfy New York state academic requirements and, under the terms of the Interstate Agreement, the academic ­requirements for an initial certificate in many other states. The Application for Certificate should be filed with the College’s Office of Certification during the semester in which the student is completing degree requirements. Questions regarding teacher certification should be directed to the Office of Certification, (585) 395-2344. Further information on teacher certification is also available on the Office of Certification’s Web site at

Note: Degrees are awarded for May, August, December and January. The Graduate Commencement Ceremony is held in May of each year.

Earning a Second Master’s Degree
Upon completion of a master’s degree or CAS, students are allowed to apply for matriculation in another master’s degree program. Up to 12 credits of a graduate degree may be used toward completion of a second graduate degree, at the discretion of the department granting the second degree.

Leave of Absence
Students whose progress toward degree completion is interrupted by circumstances beyond their control may apply for up to a year’s leave of absence. Application for such a leave is made to the student’s department. Leaves of absence approved by the department will not be charged against the time for degree completion, as stipulated by SUNY Brockport policy. If circumstances warrant, students may apply for extensions of such leaves, up to a maximum of three years in total leave time.

Academic Standing/Academic Probation
After completing nine or more graduate credits, matriculated graduate students admitted fall 2003 or later whose cumulative GPA falls below 3.0 are placed on Academic Probation I. Students receive written notification of their probationary status from the Office of Graduate Studies. A student placed on academic probation is expected to consult with his/her graduate advisor no later than the first week of the semester to discuss his/her plans to address academic deficiencies.

After attempting nine credits in probation I status, the student’s file is reviewed by the program’s Graduate Committee. If the student’s cumulative GPA is a minimum of 3.0, the student is automatically removed from probation. If the student does not achieve the minimum 3.0 GPA, the Graduate Committee will either:

  • Academically dismiss the student from the program immediately; or
  • Place the student in Probation II status, during which time the student may take an additional six credits, with the proviso that academic dismissal is automatic if a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is not then achieved.

Academic Dismissal from a Graduate Program
Students may be academically dismissed from a graduate program for reasons that include:

  1. Failure to meet the conditions of a Conditional Admission, following recommendation of the academic department;
  2. Failure to maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above (see academic probation policy); or
  3. Failure to meet individual program requirements. Such requirements may be in addition to and more restrictive than those delineated in the preceding two items.

A student who has been academically dismissed from any graduate degree program at SUNY Brockport must wait at least one calendar year before enrolling in any graduate course at SUNY Brockport. Students may explore options for appeal of an academic dismissal from a graduate program with the School Dean that is affiliated with their graduate program.

Conduct Suspension and Conduct Dismissal
Students who violate the SUNY Brockport Academic Dishonesty Policy or who violate the Codes of Student Social Conduct may be subject to Conduct Suspension or Conduct Dismissal. These policies and codes are explained in the SUNY Brockport publication Your Right to Know Academic Policies Handbook, including details on the procedures for investigating such violations, the range of sanctions, and appeal processes.

SUNY Brockport has delineated and published a number of key policies designed to encourage students’ continued and timely progress through their graduate degree programs. Students may lose their matriculated status for failure to comply with these key policies, including:

  • Failure to file a Plan of Study within the first semester of matriculated status;
  • Failure to complete the degree program within five years (or seven years for Public Administration and the Mental Health Counseling program in Counselor Education);
  • Failure to enroll in a course every twelve months to maintain continuous enrollment in their graduate program.

Once dematriculated, a student who wishes to continue graduate study at SUNY Brockport would be required to apply for readmission to the graduate program.


Readmission to either the same or another graduate program at SUNY Brockport is not guaranteed. Readmission and acceptance of any previously earned credits are at the discretion of the graduate program to which the student has reapplied. Graduate students can be readmitted to graduate study at SUNY Brockport a maximum of one time. Individual programs may set requirements more restrictive than this policy. Students who are readmitted must meet the requirements in effect at the time of readmission and must meet with their advisor to design a new Plan of Study.

Please note carefully that a student’s graduate-level grade point average (GPA) is maintained after dematriculation or dismissal, therefore making it more difficult for a student to secure the 3.0 GPA that is required for graduation. Students who are readmitted to the College following dematriculation or dismissal must complete a minimum of 12 credits in fulfillment of degree requirements after readmission.

Withdrawal from Graduate Student Status
Voluntary withdrawal from matriculated or non-degree student status must be done in writing via contact with the Office of Graduate Admissions, (585) 395-5465. Failure to provide this notification will result in eventual automatic dematriculation. Please note that withdrawal of status does not automatically withdraw students from courses; contact the Office of Registration and Records for information on course withdrawal.

Cancellation of Classes
If all classes at the College are canceled because of extraordinary circumstances such as severe weather before the beginning of any instructional day, an announcement is made over radio stations WHAM 1180 AM or The Point 89.1 FM, as well as on WHAM-TV 13.

The instructions for faculty on cancelling classes is published in the Faculty Manual. If all classes are canceled after the beginning of the instructional day for similar reasons, the announcement is passed to department chairpersons by the Office of the Provost and an announcement is made using the same media.

If an individual class is canceled because of an unplanned faculty absence, the instructor notifies the appropriate department chairperson of the imminent absence and the reason(s) for the absence (where possible) at least two hours before the class meeting time. The department chairperson, in consultation with the instructor and anyone else deemed appropriate, decides whether or not the class will be canceled.

If the department chairperson decides to cancel the class, the faculty member updates his/her voicemail indicating the class cancellation and/or notifies students through Web mail.

Confidential Nature of Student Records

  1. Academic records may be released, without the student’s consent, for such purposes as legitimate research that do not divulge the student’s name, and for scholarship, grant or award information.
  2. Permanent academic records shall be released for use outside of the State University of New York College at Brockport only with the student’s written consent.
  3. Faculty and appropriate College officials, as designated by the President of SUNY Brockport, shall have access to academic records for such purposes as counseling, certification or academic advising.

Note: Please refer to Your Right to Know & Academic Policies Handbook for a more detailed explanation of student records. This is found under the section “Policies and Procedures for the Implementation of the Family Educational Rights and Policy Act of 1974.”

Last Updated 11/20/18

Close mobile navigation