The Department of Education and Human Development offers an Adolescence Inclusive Education Program that includes initial dual certification in Adolescence English (English major), Grades 5-12 and Students with Disabilities Generalist, Grades 7-12.
Education is not an academic major at Brockport. Specific advisement is provided for both the academic major and the certification program. Students should contact the Department of Education and Human Development about educational certification requirements and their academic department about major and General Education requirements as early as possible when planning their programs.
Admission to the Program
In order to begin this program, students must meet the following requirements:
- Completion of 45 credits of college-level work
- Completion of, or in progress, 12-15 credits in the English major
- Cumulative GPA > 2.5 earned in content major courses at Brockport
- Cumulative GPA > 2.5 earned at Brockport and prior college(s)
- Three recommendations: two recent college professor and professional recommendation (volunteer or work experience)
- Enrollment in one of the approved academic majors
- Submission of application essay
All EDI courses require a minimum grade of "C+." PSH 484 and PRO 370 require a minimum grade of "C."
Teacher candidates are responsible for their own transportation for all off-campus field experiences, including student teaching.
General Education Requirements
Teacher candidates must meet the General Education requirements in effect at the time of matriculation.
Pre-professional Preparation: Academic Major
Teacher candidates seeking certification in Adolescence Inclusive Generalist English Education must formally declare a major in English and successfully complete all requirements for the major.
Pre-professional Preparation: Generalist Cognates
- Foreign Language
- one year of college-level study or its equivalent of a language other than English with a minimum grade of “C” at the 112 level. American Sign Language can be used to fulfill this requirement.
- Two courses, ENG 112 or above
- Two courses, MTH 111 or above
- Science: any TWO courses from:
- Social Studies: TWO courses:
Professional Preparation: Education Courses
- Phase 1
- EDI 445 Inclusive Middle Level Teaching in English**
- EDI 431 Language Skills in the Middle and High School Content Area I
- EDI 413 Introduction to Special Education*
- PSH 484 Adolescence*
- PRO 370 Health and Drug Education for Teacher Candidates*
- Phase 2
- EDI 465 Teaching English Inclusively**
- EDI 430 Education and Society***
- EDI 432 Language Skills in the Middle and High School Content Areas II
- Phase 3
- EDI 414 Methods in Special Education**
- EDI 419 Assessment in Special Education
- Phase 4: Student Teaching with Seminar (12 credits)
- EDI 475 Practicum in Inclusive Adolescence Education and Seminar
- *: PSH 484, PRO 370 and EDI 413 may be taken prior to program acceptance.
- **: EDI 445, 465, and 414 require a 50-hour field experience beyond class time.
- ***: EDI 430 Can be completed in any phase prior to Phase 4.
- All pre-professional cognates and professional courses in Phases 1-3 must be completed prior to student teaching
Students who complete this program are eligible for the College’s recommendation for New York State certification. Program completion and submission of the recommendation request form are also required to secure the College’s recommendation. Additional New York state certification requirements must be satisfied to earn certification. Students are advised to consult the Brockport Certification Office.