The AACSB-accredited Marketing Major prepares students to assume professional positions in one of the many marketing functions in business and non-profit organizations, such as sales management, market research and advertising. The program also prepares students for graduate business study.
Admission to the Program
A student's cumulative GPA in the foundation courses is used to determine whether the student will be admitted to the major. Students must earn a minimum GPA of 2.5 in the foundation courses below, with no grade lower than "C-." Transfer grades are included in this GPA.
- CIS106 End User Computing
- ACC281 Introduction to Financial Accounting
- ACC282 Introduction to Managerial Accounting
- ECN201 Principles of Microeconomics
- ECN202 Principles of Macroeconomics
- ECN204 Introduction to Statistics
- ONE of the following:
- MTH201 Calculus
- MTH221 Business Calculus
Note: An introductory statistics course from another discipline (e.g ., psychology) may be substituted for ECN 204. However, credit towards graduation will be allowed for only one introductory statistics course.
Students who successfully complete these requirements can declare the major in marketing.
Students pursue the Marketing Major as part of a Bachelor of Science degree, and must satisfy its requirements. Students are also bound by the policies and procedures of the School of Business Administration and Economics.
Note: Only business students who have declared their major or minor are permitted to register for courses numbered 400-499 in the School of Business Administration and Economics.
- ENG302 Business Writing
- ECN304 Intermediate Statistics
- BUS389 Business Careers Seminar (1 credit)
- ONE of the following:
- BUS 317 Management Information Systems
- BUS 461 Operations Management
- ECN 301 Intermediate Microeconomics
- ECN 305 Mangerial Economics
Buisness Core Courses
- BUS325 Principles of Finance
- BUS335 Principles of Marketing
- BUS345 International Business Environment
- BUS366 Organizational Behavior
- BUS375 Business Law I
- BUS378 Business, Government, and Society
- BUS475 Strategic Management
- BUS 440 Business-to-Business Marketing
- BUS 441 Marketing Management
- THREE of the following by advisement:
- BUS 432 Sales Management
- BUS 433 International Marketing
- BUS 435 Consumer Behavior
- BUS 436 Market Research
- BUS 437 Integrated Marketing Communications
- BUS 438 Supply Chain Management
- MKT 439 Retail Management
- BUS 498 Internship
Note: To satisfy degree requirements for the B.S. in Marketing, students must:
- Earn a grade of at least C- in all courses required for the major.
- Earn an overall GPA of 2.0 in all courses required for the major.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students will be able to:
Outcome 1: Knowledge of Business
1.1 Apply key business concepts and theories associated with core business areas
1.2 Understand ethical, global, and diversity issues that impact business.
Outcome 2: Analytical and Critical Thinking
2.1 Demonstrate critical thinking skills in analyzing business conditions and solving business problems.
Outcome 3: Communication Skills
3.1 Demonstrate effective oral communication skills
3.2 Demonstrate effective written communication skills
Outcome 4: Professional Preparedness
4.1 Demonstrate market readiness in a business-like setting.