This certificate is designed to prepare leaders for arts institutions. For students in the Master of Fine Arts in Visual Studies program who expect to pursue a primary career path in fine arts, this certificate provides backrgound for management and administration of arts organizations. For students in the Master of Public Administration program who expect to pursue a primary career path in public service, this certificate provdies additional preparation for service to arts organizations. Students with other backgrounds may also find value in this program.
The Graduate Certificate in Arts Administration is a joint program between the Department of Public Administration and the Visual Studies Workshop.
Admission to the Program
The Certificate in Arts Administration is open to two types of students:
- Students who have already earned a bachelors or masters degree and are not currently enrolled at The College at Brockport may apply to the program through The Graduate School.
- Students who are already enrolled in a graduate degree program at Brockport should contact chairperson of the Department of Public Administration or the director of the Visual Studies Workshop.
Students must meet the College's standards for graduate study.
In order to obtain the advanced certificate, students must successfully complete (with a grade of "B" or better) four graduate courses. MFA or MPA program courses used for this certificate may also be used for respective masters degree, with the approval of the student's advisor.
MFA students pursuing the certificate must complete at least two of the four courses from the department of public administration, and MPA students must complete at least two of the four courses from the visual studies workshop. This curricular structure offers flexibility to students who often have strong experience in one or more of these courses and allows faculty to accommodate special goals and needs through advisement.
Applicable courses for the Advanced Certificate through the Visual Studies Workshop:
- Art history and theory
- ARH 565 Alternative Views of Art
- ARH 563 Contemporary Media Survey
- ARH 664 Media Culture (Art Theory and Philosophy)
- Museum Studies/Studio
- ART 535 Expanded Issues in Exhibition
- ART 568 Working with Visual Information
- Other studio courses and workshops in Photography and Media
- Practica and Internships
- ART 735 Arts Organization Practicum
- ART 790 Internship
Applicable courses for the Advanced Certificate through the Department of Public Administration:
- PAD 601 Leading Organizational Change
- PAD 637 Marketing for Nonprofit Organizations
- PAD 629 Fundraising and Development
- PAD 640 Financial Management
- PAD 644 Supervision Skills
- PAD 678 Nonprofit Management
- PAD 679 Grantwriting/Grant Management
- PAD 664 Nonprofit Advocacy and Government Relations
- PAD 661 Creating an Empowered Organization
- PAD 653 Ethics for Managers
- PAD 682 Organizational Behavior
- PAD 685 Human Resources Management
- PAD 687 Statistics for Managers
- PAD 688 Research and Program Evaluation