To be eligible to apply for this 15 credit-hour certificate program, students must have successfully completed a master’s degree in counseling. The purpose of this program is to assist practicing counselors to accrue the coursework, knowledge and experience required to apply for a Licensed Mental Health Counselor limited permit in the State of New York.
Admission to the Program
The application process is managed by the Graduate School. The application process includes:
- an online graduate application with the student's written objective for entering the program;
- all undergraduate and graduate transcripts; and
- three letters of recommendation (from an employer, a professor, and a character reference).
Applicants must have a master's degree in counseling.
Students must meet the College's standards for graduate study.
- EDC615: Counseling in Mental Health Settings – 3 credits
- EDC724: Implementation I: Mental Health Counselor – 3 credits
- EDC735: Clinical Experience for Implementation – 3 credits
- EDC730: Implementation II: Mental Health Counselor – 3 credits
- EDC615: Diagnosis and Treatment Planning (if not taken as part of MS program)
Total: 15 credits
Graduates from the Clinical Mental Health Counseling Bridge program earn a Certificate of Advanced Study in Mental Health Counseling are eligible to pursue New York State licensure as a Mental Health Counselor (LMHC). Graduates must then apply for a limited permit, which is the initial phase of counselor licensure. Upon acquiring 3,000 hours of post-master’s supervised work experience in an approved mental health setting and passing the Clinical Mental Health Exam, the counselor then applies to have the limited permit converted to a license to practice mental health counseling. The license allows employment in New York State certified Office of Mental Health (NYSOMH) clinics, PROS (Personal Recovery Oriented Services), inpatient, and other programs. It also creates access to most managed care provider panels and authorization to conduct one’s own private counseling practice. The limited permit authorizes all of these activities except a private practice.