The Department of Education and Human Development offers a Childhood Inclusive Education Program that includes initial dual certification in Childhood and Students with Disabilities, Grades 1- 6, qualifying teacher candidates to teach in general and special education/inclusive classrooms.
Certification in Childhood Inclusive Education requires students to complete an appropriate major in one of the College's academic departments. Education is not an academic major at Brockport. Approved majors are listed below under Program Requirements. Specific advisement is provided for both the academic major and the certification program.
Students should contact the Department of Education and Human Development about educational certification requirements and their academic department about major and General Education requirements as early as possible when planning their programs.
Admission to the Program
In order to begin this program, students must meet the following requirements:
- Completion of 45 credits of college-level work
- Cumulative GPA > 2.5 earned at Brockport and prior college(s)
- Two recommendations: recent college professor and professional recommendation (volunteer or work experience)
- Enrollment in one of the approved academic majors
- Submission of application essay
Changes pending to meet SUNY Board of Trustees entry requirements into teacher preparation programs effective 2015-2016 Academic Year. Changes will be posted to the department website.
All EDI courses require a minimum grade of "C+."
Teacher candidates are responsible for their own transportation for all off-campus field experiences, including student teaching.
General Education Requirements
Teacher candidates must meet the General Education requirements in effect at the time of matriculation.
Pre-professional Preparation: Academic Major
Teacher candidates seeking certification in Childhood Inclusive Education must complete one of the following academic majors prior to graduation:
- Arts for Children
- Earth Science
- Health Science (Liberal Arts Track)
- Political Science
- Spanish (Track II)
Pre-professional Preparation: Arts and Science Cognates
In addition to choosing one of the majors listed above, all Childhood Inclusive teacher candidates must complete the following cognate courses, some of which may also meet requirements in the major and/or General Education core. The following courses fulfill the liberal arts cognate requirements in the Childhood Inclusive Program and may be taken prior to acceptance into the program.
One year of college-level study or its equivalent of a language other than English with a minimum grade of "C" at the 112 level. American Sign Language can be used to fulfill this requirement.
- ENG 482 Children’s Literature
- ONE of the following:
- ENG 210 Creative Writing
- ENG 300 Advanced Composition
- ENG 303 Introduction to Literary Analysis (English majors)
- HLS 306 Contemporary Issues in Health (Health Science majors)
- HLS 450 Global Health (Health Science majors)
- HST 390 The History Seminar (History majors)
- MTH 313 Mathematics for Elementary Teachers I
- MTH 314 Mathematics for Elementary Teachers II
- NAS 273 Investigation in the Physical Science (required)
- ONE of the following:
- BIO 111 Principles of Biology
- GEL 100 Our Earth
- ESC 195 Natural Disasters
- Social Studies
- ESC 102 Elements of Geography
- ONE of the following:
- HST 110 American History Survey
- HST 211 Early America
- HST 212 Modern America
Professional Preparation: Education Courses (46 credits)
- Phase 1: (credits 10)
- PSH 384 Child Psychology*
- PRO 370 Health and Drug Education for Teacher Candidates*
- EDI 330 Inquiry Into Learning**
- EDI 413 Introduction to Special Education*
- Phase 2 (must be taken concurrently): (credits 9)
- EDI 407 Emergent Language and Literacy
- EDI 414 Methods in Special Education**
- EDI 423 Diverse Learners in Social Studies
- Phase 3 (must be taken concurrently with the exception of EDI 430): (credits 15)
- EDI 417 Language, Literacy, and the Learner**
- EDI 419 Assessment in Special Education
- EDI 424 Diverse Learners in Math
- EDI 425 Diverse Learners in Science
- EDI 430 Education and Society (Once accepted, may be taken in any Phase prior to Phase 4)
- Phase 4 (Student Teaching with Seminar): (credits 12)
- EDI 455 Practicum and Seminar in Inclusive Childhood Education
Dignity for All Students Act (DASA): Students are required to complete DASA training for program completion.
- *: PSH 384, PRO 370 and EDI 413 may be taken prior to program acceptance.
- **: EDI 330, 414 and 417 require a 50-hour field experience beyond class time.
- PSH 384 and PRO 370 require a minimum grade of "C."
- All pre-professional cognates and professional courses in Phases 1-3 must be completed prior to student teaching
Students who complete this program are eligible for the College’s recommendation for New York State certification. Program completion and submission of the recommendation request form are also required to secure the College’s recommendation. Additional New York state certification requirements must be satisfied to earn certification. Students are advised to consult the Brockport Certification Office.