Designed for individuals who hold (or will soon hold) a NYS teaching certificate in English grades 7-12.
This program satisfies the Master's degree requirement for NYS professional certification in English grades 7-12.
This program can be completed fully online.
Admission to the Program
The application process is managed by the Graduate School. Applicants must have the following qualifications:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited four-year college or university with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Applicants with less than a 3.0 GPA are encouraged to contact the Department of Education and Human Development to discuss possible options.
- Valid New York State initial certification in English grades 7-12
Students must meet the College's standards for graduate study.
- EDI 601 Diversity in Education
- EDI 603 Educational Assessment and Evaluation
- EDI 647 Teaching Adolescence Reading, Writing, and Literature
- EDI 678 Issues in English Education
- EDI 791 Seminar in English Education
- FOUR liberal arts graduate courses (12 credits) from:
- other options approved through advisement
- ONE graduate elective courses (3 credits)
Minimum Total Credits: 30
Dignity for All Students Act (DASA): Students are also required to complete DASA training for program completion.
Certification: Students who complete this program and submit the recommendation form are eligible for the College's recommendation for New York State certification. Additional New York state certification requirements must be satisfied to earn certification. Students are advised to consult the Brockport Certification Office.