The AACSB-accredited Finance Major prepares students to assume professional positions in one of the many finance functions in business and non-profit organizations, such as financial planning, cash management, and investment analysis. The program also prepares students for graduate business study.
Admission to the Program
Students must obtain at least a "C-" in each of the following courses, and an overall GPA of at least 2.5, to declare the major. Transfer grades are included in the calculation of the overall GPA.
- CIS 217 Fundamentals of Business Computing
- ECN 201 Principles of Economics (Micro)
- ECN 202 Principles of Economics (Macro)
- MTH 244 Business Statistics
- ACC 281 Introduction to Financial Accounting
- ACC 282 Introduction to Managerial Accounting
- ONE of the following courses:
- MTH 201 Calculus
- MTH 221 Business Calculus
Students pursue the Finance Major as part of a Bachelor of Science degree, and must satisfy its requirements. Students are also bound by the terms of study in the School of Business Administration and Economics.
Students must earn a grade of at least "C-" in each course used to satisfy a finance major requirement.
Students must earn an overall cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 in the Brockport courses used to satisfy the corequisite, business core, and specialization course requirements described below.
Corequisite Courses (10 credits)
- ENG 302 Business Writing
- ECN 302 Intermediate Macroeconomics
- ECN 304 Intermediate Statistics
- BUS 389 Business Careers Seminar
Business Core Courses (21 credits)
- BUS 325 Principles of Finance
- BUS 335 Principles of Marketing
- BUS 345 International Business Environment
- BUS 361 Production and Operations Management
- BUS 366 Organizational Behavior
- BUS 375 Business Law I
- BUS 378 Business, Government, and Society
- BUS 475 Strategic Management
Required Specialty Courses (6 credits)
- BUS 421 Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management
- BUS 422 Corporate Financial Policy
Specialty Electives (6 credits)
At least one of these electives must be from Group A.
- Group A
- BUS 420 Short-Term Financial Management
- BUS 428 Seminar in Finance
- BUS 445 International Financial Management
- Group B
- ACC 385 Intermediate Accounting I
- ACC 388 Cost Accounting
- ECN 321 Money and Banking
- ECN 425 Financial Institutions