This track is designed to partially fulfill requirements to sit for the New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services (OASAS) Credentialed Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselor examination. Current CASAC holders may elect to take some or all of these courses to fulfill the continuing education requirements of the credential. Many of the students who complete this track also elect to complete a second major in psychology, social work, criminal justice and other related areas.
Admission to the Major
Any undergraduate student can declare a healthcare studies major.
The healthcare studies faculty has a professional responsibility to deny admission or continuation in any of its undergraduate or graduate programs to any student whose level of performance and/or personal characteristics or dispositions do not adequately meet academic, professional, or ethical standards.
Undergraduate students in this program pursue a Bachelor of Science degree, and must complete its requirements.
Students must achieve a grade of "C" or better in each course. (A grade of "C-" does not meet this requirement.)
- HCS 409 Introduction to Alcohol and Other Drugs (A)
- HCS 421 Group Counseling Skills for Alcohol and Other Drugs (B)
- HCS 422 Individual Treatment Planning for Alcohol and Other Drugs (B,Y)
- HCS 423 HCS 423 Theories of Alcohol and Other Drugs (A)
- HCS 424 Counseling Diverse Populations for Alcohol and Other Drugs (A,W,Y)
- HCS 435 Evaluation and Assessment of Alcohol and Other Drugs (B)
- HCS 437 Dual Diagnosis of Alcohol and Other Drugs (B)
- HCS 445 Psychopharmacology of Alcohol and Other Drugs (A)
- HCS 455 Ethics for Alcohol and Other Drugs (A)
- HCS 488 Applied Biostatistics and Epidemiology (A,M)
- HCS 497 Intern Seminar for Alcohol and Other Drugs (A)
- HCS 498 Internship for Alcohol and Other Drugs (B) Any college level statistics course with a grade of “C” or better (3 cr.)
- HCS 437 Dual Diagnosis of Alcohol and Other Drugs (Elective)
- HCS 404 Criminal Justice and Addictions (Elective)
- HCS 409 serves as a co- or prerequisite for all other courses in this track.
- Suggested statistics courses: PSH 202, MTH 243, HLS 488, or other.
- HCS 497 and HLP 498 are to be taken concurrently at the end of the program, and students should consult the course descriptions for further requirements.
- Students are encouraged to take HCS 404 and HCS 437 as additional electives.