A Joint Affiliation with the University at Buffalo, School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Students have the opportunity to participate in a combined degree program culminating in both Baccalaureate and Doctor of Pharmacy degrees in conjunction with the University at Buffalo. The first three undergraduate years will be completed at SUNY Brockport in conjunction with our Biology major degree program. Following application and offer of admittance, coursework in the fourth through seventh years will be taken at the University at Buffalo. The fourth year of coursework will be transferred back to Brockport to complete the Baccalaureate degree requirements.
Admission to the Program
- Students must maintain a 3.30 minimum GPA in both prerequisite science and mathematics courses, a 3.30 GPA overall and may have no prerequisite grade below a C.
- The 3-Yr Academic Plan at SUNY Brockport is designed to satisfy the prerequisite coursework for UB's Pharmacy School Admission, as well as the B.S. degree requirements in Biology and SUNY General Education Requirements.
- Students will need to formally apply to the University at Buffalo Pharmacy School through the Pharmacy College Application Service (PharmCAS) during the fall of their junior year, no later than October 1. Three letters of recommendation are required, including one from Brockport's Pre-Professional Health Advisory Committee.
- A PCAT (Pharmacy College Admission Test) score is required; competitive applicants typically score at least 300. A minimum score of "3" is required on the written essay component. Students typically take the PCAT in the summer between the sophomore and junior years.
- Students must meet the University at Buffalo PharmD Supplemental Application and application fee deadline of March 1.
- Two additional letters of recommendation must be submitted as part of the PharmCAS application.
- Students are expected to maintain the appropriate moral and ethical standards necessary for admission and for the eventual attainment of professional licensure.
Upon invitation, the University at Buffalo will require a formal interview as part of the PharmD admissions process. Selection of PharD candidates is based on scholastic achievement, aptitude, personal qualifications, and evidence of motivation toward pharmacy.
The first three years of courses at Brockport provides a foundation for further study in Pharmacy School. The following Biology courses are required:
- BIO 201 Biology I
- BIO 202 Biology II
- BIO 301 Cellular Biochemistry
- BIO 302 Genetics
- BIO 323 Microbiology
- BIO 321 Anatomy & Physiology I
- BIO 322 Anatomy & Physiology II
- BIO 467 Biochemistry I
- BIO 498 Seminar
Required co-requisite coursework in Chemistry:
- CHM 205 Chemistry I
- CHM 206 Chemistry II
- CHM 305 Organic Chemistry I
- CHM 306 Organic Chemistry II
Required co-requisite coursework in Physics:
- PHS 205 Intro to Physics I
- PHS 210 Intro Physics II
Required co-requisite courses in Math:
- MTH 122 Pre-calculus
- MTH 243 Elem. Statistics
- MTH 201 Calculus I
- MTH 202 Calculus II
In addition to satisfying all General Education requirements, students must complete two semesters of English Composition, which can be satisfied by taking the following:
- ENG 112 College Composition
- ENG 210 Creative Writing
Important Advisement Information
It is very important that students considering this Articulation Agreement meet with the Articulation Agreement Coordinator early to design an academic plan that satisfies the prerequisites and application requirements for admission to Pharmacy School.
SUNY Brockport coordinator is:
Laurie B. Cook, Ph.D.
Dept. of Biology
The University at Buffalo coordinator is:
Jennifer Hess Rosenberg, PhD
School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences