Advanced Certificate in Bilingual Education (Spanish)

Main Page Content


Designed for individuals who wish to add the Bilingual Teacher Extension but do not wish to complete a master's degree. The program meets the academic requirements for adding the Bilingual Teacher Extension-Initial to an existing initial or professional New York State teaching certification except for those certified in a foreign language or ESOL (English to Speakers of Other Languages).

Admission to the Program

The application process is managed by the Center for Graduate Studies. Applicants must have the following qualifications:

  1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited four-year college or university with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
  2. Valid New York State certification in one of the following areas:
    • Initial Early Childhood Birth-Grade 2
    • Initial Childhood Education Grades 1-6
    • Initial Adolescence, any content area 7-12 (other than foreign language or ESOL (English to Speakers of Other Languages).
  3. Demonstrated proficiency in Spanish at the advanced level. An oral proficiency interview may be required of some applicants. If required, the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures, (585) 395-2269, will contact the applicant to schedule the interview.

Program Requirements

Students must meet the College's standards for graduate study.


  • EDI 612 Bilingual Methods of Teaching Content
  • EDI 628 Methods, Materials and Cultural Perspectives in TESOL/Bilingual Education
  • EDI 641 Theories and Trends in Bilingual-Multicultural Education
  • EDI 661 Research in Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition

Note: EDI 628 and EDI 521 each require a 25-hour field experience component.

Minimum Total Credits: 15


Students who complete this program are eligible for the College’s recommendation for New York State certification. Program completion and submission of the recommendation form are also required to secure the College’s recommendation. Additional New York state certification requirements must be satisfied to earn certification. Students are advised to consult the Brockport Certification Office.