The BFA program is an intensive 78 credit degree program in studio art , intended for students who plan to pursue a professional career in art or to prepare for graduate study. BFA students work closely with a faculty mentor in their area of concentration, as well as interact with the entire art faculty through the required courses and semester BFA Reviews.
Admission to the Program
Students are admitted into the program through a selective application process that includes a portfolio review. Those who do not have a portfolio may enroll in the BA/BS program in studio art, and and use work from foundation courses to assemble a portfolio. If advised to discontinue the BFA program, a student may continue as a studio art major in the BA/BS program.
In addition to the course requirements below, students must meet the following requirements:
- A minimum grade of "C" must be attained in all courses in the major.
- Maintain a 2.5 minimum overall cumulative Brockport GPA and 3.0 GPA in art.
- VSW Summer Intensive courses may not be used to complete BFA degree requirements without departmental permission.
Candidates for the BFA must meet all Brockport General Education course requirements and complete a total of 78 credits in Art and Art History as indicated below.
- ARH 201 Survey of World Art I
- ARH 202 Survey of World Art II
- ARH 410 Contemporary Art Criticism
- ARH 420 20th-Century Art
- ART 210 2-D Design
- ART 212 3-D Design
- ART 221 Drawing I
- ART 301 BFA Review
- ART 330 Digital Art I
- ART 331 Photography I
- ART 341 Painting I
- ART 351 Printmaking I
- ART 361 ART361 Sculpture: Mixed Media OR ART362 Sculpture: Metals
- ART371 Handbuilding OR ART372 Wheelthrowing
- ART 401 Senior Seminar
- ART 402 BFA Senior Exhibition
- BFA electives (12 credits). Through advisement, students should choose 4 courses that expand or inform the focus of their work, or a series of art studio courses in an area outside of the concentration.
- Concentration consisting of 18 credits by advisement in one of the following areas:
Total Number of Credits: 78