Designed for individuals who have already earned a master's degree and hold initial or professional-level NYS teacher certification (B-2, 1-6, or 7-12) seeking to become certified in ESOL for the first time.
This program can be completed fully online.
Admission to the Program
The application process is managed by the Center for Graduate Studies. Applicants must have the following qualifications:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited four-year college or university with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Transcripts with evidence of 12 credits in a language other than English, 3 credits in psychology & 3 credits in students with disabilities.
- One letter of recommendation
- Statement of objectives
- Valid New York State certification in B-2, 1-6, or 7-12 (seeking to become certified in ESOL for the first time) edTPA, MAT or GRE scores
Students must meet the College's standards for graduate study.
- **EDI 521: Methods for Teaching and Assessing English Language Learners
- **EDI 628: Methods, Materials and Cultural Perspectives in TESOL/Bilingual Education
- EDI 641: Theories and Trends in Bilingual/Multicultural Education
- *EDI 655: Practicum in TESOL Education
- EDI 661: Research in Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition
- EDI 726: Methods and Materials in Literacy Education, B-6
- EDI 727: Methods and Materials in Literacy Education, 5-12
Minimum Total Credits: 18
* EDI 655, Practicum in TESOL, requires that you do a 20-day Practicum working with English language learners in a formal setting
** 25 hour field experience
Students who complete this program are eligible for the College’s recommendation for New York State certification. Program completion and submission of the recommendation form are also required to secure the College’s recommendation. Additional New York state certification requirements must be satisfied to earn certification. Students are advised to consult the Brockport Certification Office for comprehensive information regarding NYSED certification requirements.