A 12-credit hour certificate program is offered for those who already hold a master’s degree in school counseling. The program entails two required online core courses and two electives, that are offered online or in the classroom.
The purpose of this program is to develop the school counselor’s advanced skills in diagnosis, consultation and family systems counseling. The core of this program develops the student’s skills indiagnostic assessment from a school counseling perspective and in systems approaches to counseling. Students applying for this program must have successfully completed a master’s degree in School Counseling in order to be eligible for the School Counselor advanced certificate.
Admission to the Program
- An online graduate application with the student's written objective for entering the program;
- All undergraduate and graduate transcripts; and
- Three letters of recommendation (from an employer, a professor, and a character reference).
Applicants must have a master's degree in school counseling.
Students must meet the College's standards for graduate study.
Courses (each of the following courses is three credits)
- EDC613: Diagnosis and Treatment Planning in Counseling (required)
- EDC690: Couples and Family Counseling (required)
- any TWO of the following elective courses:
- Online courses:
- EDC 523: Sexuality in Counseling
- EDC 540: Neurology in Counseling
- EDC 617: Leadership and Advocacy
- EDC 692: Spirituality in the Counseling Process
- Classroom courses:
- EDC 693: Counseling in Secondary Schools
- EDC 695: Child Centered Play Therapy
- Online courses:
Total: 12 credits
Students who complete this program are eligible for the College’s recommendation for New York State permanent certification. Program completion and submission of the recommendation form are also required to secure the College’s recommendation. Additional New York state certification requirements must be satisfied to earn certification. Students are advised to consult the Brockport Certification Office.
Additional Certificate Requirement
Each course required for the certificate for this program must be passed with a grade of 'B' or higher.