Designed for individuals who hold (or will soon hold) a NYS teaching certificate in English grades 7-12.
This program satisfies the master's degree requirement for NYS professional certification in English grades 7-12.
This program can be completed fully online.
Admission to the Program
The application process is managed by the Center for Graduate Studies. Applicants must present:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited four-year college or university with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Applicants with less than a 3.0 GPA are encouraged to contact the Department of Education and Human Development to discuss possible options.
- Statement of objectives
- Three letters of reference
- Valid New York State initial certification in English grades 7-12, including evidence of completion of CAD, SAVE, & DASA workshops
- edTPA, MAT or GRE scores
Students must meet the College's standards for graduate study.
- EDI 601 Diversity in Education
- EDI 603 Educational Assessment and Evaluation
- EDI 647 Teaching Adolescence Reading, Writing, and Literature
- EDI 678 Issues in English Education
- EDI 791 Seminar in English Education
- FOUR liberal arts graduate courses (12 credits) related to disciplinary content as approved by assigned advisor:
- other options approved through advisement
- ONE graduate elective course (3 credits)
Minimum Total Credits: 30
Students who complete this program are eligible for the College’s recommendation for New York State certification. Program completion and submission of the recommendation form are also required to secure the College’s recommendation. Additional New York state certification requirements must be satisfied to earn certification. Students are advised to consult the Brockport Certification Office for comprehensive information regarding NYSED certification requirements.