For individuals already holding initial or professional-level New York State teacher certification (B-2, 1-6, or 7-12) seeking to become certified in ESOL for the first time. This MSEd fulfills the master's degree requirement for NYS Professional certification.
This program is offered online or in a hybrid format.
Admission to the Program
The application process is managed by the Center for Graduate Studies. Applicants must have the following qualifications:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited four-year college or university with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Transcripts with evidence of 12 credits in a language other than English, 3 credits in psychology & 3 credits in students with disabilities.
- One letter of recommendation
- Statement of objectives
- Valid New York State certification in B-2, 1-6, or 7-12 (seeking to become certified in ESOL for the first time) edTPA, MAT or GRE scores
Students must meet the College's standards for graduate study.
- *EDI 521: Methods for Teaching and Assessing English Language Learners
- EDI 601: Diversity in Education
- EDI 603: Educational Assessment and Evaluation
- *EDI 628: Methods, Materials and Cultural Perspectives in TESOL/Bilingual Education
- EDI 634: Teaching Reading to Children with Diverse Needs
- EDI 641: Theories and Trends in Bilingual/Multicultural Education
- **EDI 655: Practicum in TESOL Education
- EDI 661:Research in Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition
- EDI 722: Seminar in Bilingual/TESOL Education
- EDI 726: Methods and Materials in Literacy Education, B-6
- EDI 727: Methods and Materials in Literacy Education, 5-12
Minimum Total Credits: 30
* A Practicum of 20 days (minimum) is required for this course. The Practicum, which is similar to a mini-student teaching experience, must be completed under the supervision of a certified ESOL teacher in the level opposite your current initial or professional certification. Candidates must complete both EDI 521 and EDI 628 before registering for the Practicum.
** A 25-hour field experience is required for this course and must be completed in a K-12 setting with an ESOL teacher. For current, full-time teachers these hours can be completed during break/lunch times in your school or district. Where this is not possible, there may be an option for the hours to be completed in an after school program for P-12 students.Certification
Students who complete this program are eligible for the College’s recommendation for New York State certification. Program completion and submission of the recommendation form are also required to secure the College’s recommendation. Additional New York state certification requirements must be satisfied to earn certification. Students are advised to consult the Brockport Certification Office for comprehensive information regarding NYSED certification requirements.