Designed for individuals who hold (or will soon hold) a NYS teaching certificate in either Early Childhood, Childhood, or an Adolescence (grades 7-12) content area. Leads to certification in Literacy birth-grade 6 and Literacy grades 5-12. Leads to both initial and professional certification.
Admission to the Program
The application process is managed by the Center for Graduate Studies. Applicants must present:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited four-year college or university with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Applicants with less than a 3.0 GPA are encouraged to contact the Department of Education and Human Development to discuss possible options.
- Valid New York State certification in one of the following areas:
- Initial Early Childhood Birth-Grade 2
- Initial Childhood Education Grades 1-6
- Initial Adolescence, any content area 7-12
- Evidence of completion of CAD, SAVE, & DASA workshops
- Statement of objectives
- Three letters of reference
- edTPA, MAT or GRE scores
- SUNY has adopted a new admission requirement for initial certification teacher preparation programs effective fall 2015. Anyone applying to the fall 2015 semester and beyond must take and submit scores for either the GRE or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) to be considered for admission to a graduate education program here at SUNY Brockport.
Students must meet the College's standards for graduate study.
- EDI 601 Diversity in Education
- EDI 634 Teaching Reading to the Child w/Special Needs
- EDI 726 Methods and Materials in Literacy Education B-6
- EDI 728 Critical Multi-Literacies 5-12
- EDI 727 Methods and Materials in Literacy Education 5-12
- EDI 739 Teachers as Writers; Teachers Teaching Writing
- EDI 730 Literacy Assessment
- EDI 735 Emergent Language and Literacy
- EDI 740 Childhood
- EDI 745 Adolescence Internship
- EDI 742 Literacy Policy, Advocacy and Coaching
- ONE graduate elective course
Minimum Total Credits: 36
Students who complete this program are eligible for the College’s recommendation for New York State certification. Program completion and submission of the recommendation form are also required to secure the College’s recommendation. Additional New York state certification requirements must be satisfied to earn certification. Students are advised to consult the Brockport Certification Office for comprehensive information regarding NYSED certification requirements.