For individuals already holding initial or professional-level New York State teacher certification (B-2, 1-6, or 7-12) seeking to become certified in ESOL for the first time. This MSEd fulfills the master's degree requirement for NYS Professional certification.
This program is offered online or in a hybrid format.
Admission to the Program
The application process is managed by the Center for Graduate Studies. Applicants must have the following qualifications:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited four-year college or university with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Transcripts with evidence of 12 credits in a language other than English, 3 credits in psychology & 3 credits in students with disabilities.
- One letter of recommendation
- Statement of objectives
- Valid New York State certification in B-2, 1-6, or 7-12 (seeking to become certified in ESOL for the first time) edTPA, MAT or GRE scores
Students must meet the College's standards for graduate study.
- *EDI 521: Methods for Teaching and Assessing English Language Learners
- EDI 601: Diversity in Education
- EDI 603: Educational Assessment and Evaluation
- *EDI 628: Methods, Materials and Cultural Perspectives in TESOL/Bilingual Education
- EDI 634: Teaching Reading to Children with Diverse Needs
- EDI 641: Theories and Trends in Bilingual/Multicultural Education
- **EDI 655: Practicum in TESOL Education
- EDI 661:Research in Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition
- EDI 722: Seminar in Bilingual/TESOL Education
- EDI 726: Methods and Materials in Literacy Education, B-6 OR
- EDI 727: Methods and Materials in Literacy Education, 5-12
Minimum Total Credits: 30
* 25 hour field experience
** The Practicum in TESOL is a minimum of 20 days, working with English language learners in a formal setting. The dates and number of days are dependent on the program the practicum is completed in. Please be aware that summer practica take place during summer programs and therefore the dates may not match our Brockport EDI 655 summer course dates in Banner and will instead be based on school district summer program dates. Candidates are expected to commit to all summer practica dates for their placements. Due to nature of summer programs, cancellations and changes are out of our control and placements are based on program availability and participation by certified ESOL/ENL teachers.
Students who complete this program are eligible for the College’s recommendation for New York State certification. Program completion and submission of the recommendation form are also required to secure the College’s recommendation. Additional New York state certification requirements must be satisfied to earn certification. Students are advised to consult the Brockport Certification Office for comprehensive information regarding NYSED certification requirements.
Student Learning OutcomesUpon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Content knowledge: Students will be able to understand the central concepts of their discipline.
- Pedagogical content knowledge: Students will be able to develop instructional plans and strategies, and connect them with content knowledge to enhance learning opportunities for P-12 students.
- Professional knowledge and skills: Students will be able to understand the learning needs of all students, and utilize their professional knowledge and skills, including the implementation of assessments and technology, to create effective learning experiences.
- Reflective skills: Students will be able to continuously evaluate the impact of their work with students, reflecting on their success as teachers and addressing their needs for continuing professional improvement.
- Professional dispositions: Students will practice professional ethics, including dedication, respect, intellectual integrity, positive outlook, self-awareness, and professionalism.
- Positive impact on P-12 learning: Students will be able to produce evidence that they engage students in meaningful activity that promotes the development of critical thinking, problem solving, and performance skills.