This Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS) program leads to satisfaction of the education requirements for New York State certification as a School District Business Leader (SDBL). Successful passage of the SDBL examination is also a requirement for certification. This certification is required for employment in public school districts in New York with position titles such as School Business Administrator and Assistant Superintendent for Business. The program is one of only a handful in New York State that is accredited for this certification area.
The majority of school business officials in western and central New York school districts are alumni of the Brockport SDBL program.
Admission to the Program
This program is only offered in cohorts, which begin every 15-18 months. Students should contact the Department of Educational Administration to learn when the next SDBL cohort is projected to start.
Applicants to the program must have:
- An earned bachelor's or master's degree from an accredited institution
- At least a 3.0 GPA in the highest degree earned
The application process originates through the Center for Graduate Studies. The application consists of:
- General personal information in an online application
- Transcripts of all prior college-level coursework
For additional information on admissions or to start your application, contact the Center for Graduate Studies.
Students must meet the College's standards for graduate study.
This CAS is a 66-credit program.
Students with an existing master's degree can apply 24 graduate credits from that degree toward the 66-credit requirement, and complete the following coursework:
- EDA 656 Personnel Administration
- EDA 691 Principles and Practices of Budgeting
- EDA 692 Data Management and Presentation
- EDA 693 Administration of Support Services
- EDA 890 Issues in Site Management for School Business Administration
- EDA 891 Facilities Planning and Management
- EDA 892 Legal Issues for School Business Administrators
- EDA 893 School Finance and Revenue Management
- EDA 894 Public School Accounting
- EDA 897 Practicum in School Business Administration
- EDA 898 Internship in School Business Administration
Students who do not have a master's degree can pursue the 30-credit MSEd in Educational Administration concurrently with the CAS. Students electing this course of study will complete the following coursework:
- TWO additional graduate elective courses by advisement (6 credits)
- ONE additional graduate elective course outside of education by advisement (3 credits)
The State of New York Department of Education offers certification of School District Business Leaders (SDBL). This program is designed and approved to meet the academic requirements for professional SDBL certification. As of the production of this catalog, additional requirements to CAS for certification include:
- Completion of DASA
- Successful completion of the SDBL Examination, Parts 1 and 2
- Fingerprint clearance
- Application to Brockport's Certification Office for Institutional Recommendation
- An application for the certification through TEACH
- Payment of an application fee
- Citizen status- Permanent Residence or U.S. Citizenship
However, because the State of New York Department of Education controls the criteria for eligibility, this College and Department cannot be held responsible for changes made during your matriculation and/or after your graduation. Students are advised to consult with Brockport's Certification Office and maintain awareness of changes that may happen to their certification requirements.