Minor Requirements (18 credits)
Required Core Courses (9 credits)
- HCS 409 Introduction to Alcohol and Other Drugs
- HCS 423 Theories of Alcohol and Other Drugs
- HCS 424 Counseling Diverse Populations for Alcohol and Other Drugs*
*denotes courses that meet both minor and general education requirements
Elective Courses (9 credits)
Choose 3 from the following (pre-requisite HCS 409):
- HCS 437 Dual Diagnosis of Alcohol and Other Drugs
- HCS 445 Psychopharmacology of Alcohol and Other Drugs
- HCS 455 Ethics in Alcohol & Other Drugs
- HCS 404 Criminal Justice and Addictions
- HCS 439 Grief and Loss for Alcohol & Other Drugs
- HCS 440 Trauma-Informed Care for Alcohol & Other Drugs
Student Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of the Alcohol & Substance Abuse Studies minor, students will be able to:
- Identify the various foundations for addiction professionals.
- Explain how multiple counseling theories explain and apply to addiction treatments.
- Understand and apply professional, ethical practices relevant to counseling work with diverse populations.