Neuroscience is a growing interdisciplinary field that draws upon the knowledge base from biology, chemistry, and psychology. You will learn how to effectively communicate and work with experts across all three fields as well as how to apply their varied approaches to problem-solving. Select from many upper-division courses to deepen your knowledge in what interests you the most about neuroscience.
SUNY Brockport is one of the first SUNY institutions to offer an undergraduate degree in neuroscience.
You will have the opportunity for hands-on instruction through lab and field courses as well as high-impact experiences through undergraduate research and internships.
Admission to the Program
Any undergraduate student can declare a major in neuroscience.
Students in the neuroscience major pursue a Bachelor of Science degree and must complete the corresponding degree's requirements.
General Education Requirements (35* credits)
Major Departmental Requirements (71-72 credits)
Biology (22 credits)
- BIO 201 Biology I (4 credits)*
- BIO 202 Biology II (4 credits)
- BIO 302 Genetics (4 credits)
- BIO 310 Biological Chemistry (3 credits)
- BIO 311 Biological Chemistry Lab (1 credits)
- BIO 407 Advanced Cell Biology (3 credits)
- BIO 489 Neurobiology (3 credits)
Chemistry & Biochemistry (16 credits)
- CHM205 College Chemistry I (4 credits)*
- CHM206 College Chemistry II (4 credits)
- CHM305 Organic Chemistry I (4 credits)
- CHM306 Organic Chemistry II (4 credits)
Psychology (15 credits)
- PSH 110 Principles of Psychology (3 credits)
- PSH 202 Intro Statistics for Psychology* (3 credits)
- PSH 341 Biopsychology (3 credits)
- PSH 352 Sensation & Perception (3 credits)
- PSH 441 Neuropsychology OR PSH 445 Psychopharmacology (3 credits)
Physics (8 credits)
- PHS 205 Introduction to Physics I*
- PHS 210 Introduction to Physics II
Mathematics (4 credits)
- MTH 122 Pre-Calculus*
Major Electives (6-7 credits) choose from
- BIO 455 Neurophysiology (3 credits)
- CHM 467 Biochemistry I (3 credits)
- CHM 468 Biochemistry II (3 credits)
- PSH 301 Research Methods (4 credits)
- PSH 342 Animal Behavior (3 credits)
- PSH 351 Cognitive Processes (3 credits)
- PSH 441 Neuropsychology (3 credits)
- PSH 445 Psychopharmacology (3 credits)
- BIO 424/CHM 499/PSH 499 Approved Research Experience and/or Independent Study Course(s) (3 credits)
Prerequisites (0-3 credits)
- MTH 111 College Algebra
Electives (10-14 credits)
Total Credits (120 credits)
Additional Degree Requirements
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.0 in all required major courses (Major Departmental Requirements).
- Completion of all college-wide degree requirements
*denotes courses that meet both major and general education requirements
To make normal progress in the major, a student should complete the majority of 100- and 200- level courses and at least two 300-level courses by the end of the sophomore year. Please speak with your advisor about your specific needs and the timing of the courses that will work best for you.