Main Page Content
Kenneth D. Schlecht
Department of Chemistry
Brockport, NY 14420
Iowa City, IA
Ph.D. Analytical Chemistry
Department of Chemistry, SUNY Brockport since 1970, Associate Professor
Taught: College Chemistry, Quantitative and Instrumental Analysis, Forensic Science
Chemical Lecture Demonstrations, Energy and the Environment.
- Chair, Rochester Section of the American Chemical Society, 1992
- Chairperson, Department of Chemistry, SUNY Brockport, June 1983 - May, 1988
- Project Director, CSTEP Grant, January 1987 - August 1989, and Spring 1993 (see Grants)
- President, Board of Directors, Faculty Student Association, SUNY Brockport, 1988-89. (Board Member, 1986 - 1992).
- Forensic Analysis
- Analysis of Archaeological Samples
- Ion Exchange of Natural Zeolites
- Development of Lecture Demonstrations
- NSF Undergraduate Research Participation (LJRP), Summer 1982, $13,192.
- SUNY Faculty Grant for Improvement of Undergraduate Instruction, Summer 1983, $2,500.
- NYS Education Department, Collegiate Science Technology Entry Program (CSTEP)
- Project Director, January - June, 1987, $29,000
- Project Director, July, 1987 - June, 1988, $98,295
- Project Director, July, 1988 - June, 1989, $98,245
- Co-Project Director, July - August, 1989, $19,191
- Project Director, January, 1993 - July, 1993
- FIPSE Partners with City College of New York, adaptation of PASS model, October, 1995 - March, 1998, $20,000.
- SAIC (Scientific Applications International Corp.), Dry Solutions for Chemical Warfare Agents, July 2005 - June 2006 $52,302, July 2006 - June 2007, $45,994.
- Monroe County District Attorney's "Good Citizen Award", December, 1984 - for work in developing analytical methods for the analysis of controlled substances.
- New York State/United University Professors Excellence Award ($3,000), Fall 1990 - for exceptional and sustained accomplishments in college service
- Senior Fellow, School of Letters and Sciences, SUNY Brockport, 1995
- Section Award, Rochester Section of the American Chemical Society, 1999
National Conference Work
Member, Finance Committee, ZEOLITE '76, International Conference on the Occurrence, Properties and Utilization of Natural Zeolites, Tucson, AZ, June, 1976.
Member, Registration Committee, WORKSHOP ON ZEOLIT'ES AND HEALTH, Rochester, NY, March, 1979.
Organizing Committee and Local Arrangements Chairman, ZEO-AGRICULTURE '82, A Conference on the Use of Natural Zeolites in Agriculture and Aquaculture, Rochester, NY, June, 1982.
Logistics Coordinator, ZEO-TRIP '83, July 7-10, 1983, Boise, ID to Reno, NV (preceding the 6th International Zeolite Conference).
Presider, Technical Sessions, Pittsburgh Conference on Analytical Chemistry & Applied Spectroscopy:
- March, 1984 (Atlantic City)
- 1985 (New Orleans)
- 1986 & 1987 (Atlantic City)
- 1988 (New Orleans)
- 1990 (New York)
- 1991 (Chicago)
- 1992 (New Orleans)
- 1993 (Atlanta)
- 1994 & 1996 (Chicago)
Vice-Chairman and Member of Finance Committee, ZEOLITE '93, 4th International Conference on the Occurrence, Properties and Utilization of Natural Zeolites Boise, ID, June 20-28, 1993.
K.D. Schlecht & C.W. Frank, J. Pharm. Sci., 62, 258-261 (1973), "Tetracycline Epimerization Kinetics Utilizing NMR Spectrometry."
K.D. Schlecht, R.B. Dix, M.J. Tamul, Appl. Spectrosc., 28, 3 8-40 (1974), "Internal Reflection Spectra of Several Tetracyclines."
K.D. Schlecht & C.W. Frank, J. Pharm. Sci., 64, 352 (1975), "Dehydration of Tetracycline."
K.D. Schlecht, J. College Sci. Teaching, 6, 173 (1977), "A Non-Calculus Approach to First-Order Kinetics."
K.D. Schlecht, J. Chem. Ed., 61, 251 (1984), "Diffusion of Gases -Kinetic Molecular Theory of Gases."
Ronald J. Greaves & Kenneth D. Schlecht, J. Chem Ed., 69, 417-8 (1992), "Gibbs Free Energy-The Criteria for Spontaneity."
Kenneth B. Tankersley, Kenneth D. Schlecht & Richard S. Laub, J. Archaeological Science, 25, 805-11, (1998), "Fluoride Dating in Mastodon Bone from an Early Paleoindian Spring Site".
Daniel E. Allgeier, Sue Ann Herbert, Rory Nee, Kenneth D. Schlecht & K. Thomas Finley, J. Org. Chem., 68, 4988-90, (2003), "Regiospecificity in the Synthesis of Diaryl Sulfones".