An internship allows a student to apply classroom knowledge in a professional setting. It is a means of networking for future job contacts, gathering valuable hands-on experience to augment a resume as well as an opportunity to work in a certain field while still a student before selecting a professional route.
Who May Apply
Internship applicants must be at least of junior status, having completed 54 total credits with a minimum of 12 credits being completed in the Communication major at The College at Brockport. Minimum overall GPA is 2.5, major GPA is 3.0. These GPA numbers are firm.
CMC 475 may be taken only once for 3 credits. While juniors are eligible, the internship experience is strongly encouraged for the senior year.
Submit a letter of application detailing what you would like to do, when (which semester) and where. In addition to the letter, applicants should attach a current Degree Works report and a resume. Staple all materials together and submit to the department internship coordinator in Holmes Hall.
For fall and summer internships, students should submit their materials the previous spring semester. For spring internships, materials should be submitted the previous fall semester.
The faculty advisor will work with the student to try to arrange an internship in the field and location desired.
Previous internship sites include:
- Bausch & Lomb
- City of Rochester, Bureau of Communications
- Rochester sports teams: Rhinos, Rattlers, Knighthawks, Red Wings and Amerks
- Landmark Society of Western New York
- Paychex Corporation
- Regional office of New York State Governor
- Rochester Police Department
- Strong National Museum of Play
- The College at Brockport Marketing Communications
- Agathi & Company
- Dixon Schwabl
Outside of Rochester
- Greater Buffalo Savings Bank
- American Cancer Society
- Six Flags (corporate headquarters)
- New York Rangers