- Associate Professor
- (585) 395-2179
Office: Albert W. Brown Building 101
I am an Associate Professor of Information Systems in the Department of Computer Science at the State University of New York at Brockport. My Ph.D is from the University of Nebraska at Omaha. My academic background comprises of a Bachelors as well as a Masters degree in Computer Science from Illinois Institute of Technology. I have had a number of years industry experience working as a software engineer for Motorola Inc. in Arlington Heights in Illinois.
I am actively involved in the IS/T research community through my numerous scholarly research endeavors. My main research stream is in the area of Information Technology for Development - which to briefly state, investigates how Information Technology can help bring about both social as well as economic development of a community. My work has been published in various Information Systems journals and presented at leading IS conferences.
I enjoy teaching and working with students and participating in professional academic service activities, such as serving as mini-track chairs at various international, national, and regional IS conferences.
- CIS 202 – Fundamentals of Information Systems
- CIS 206 - Information Technology Tools
- CIS 317 – Analysis and Logical Design of Information Systems
- CSC 356 - Life in the Digital Age
- CIS 427 – Project Management and Practice
- CIS 442 - Electronic Commerce Systems
- CIS 487 – Information Technology for Development
My major research efforts are in the area of Information Technology for Development, focusing on technology adoption issues in small and micro-enterprises and investigating efforts for small business growth. A secondary research stream of mine focuses on processes of knowledge networking and sourcing of skills. I have also been involved in a number of research projects in the area of Collaboration Engineering.
- Kamal, M. (2016), Kevlin, S., & Dong, Y. (2016, Mar 18 – 19). Investigating Multitasking with Technology in Academic Settings. Proceedings of the 19th Southern Association for Information Systems Conference. St. Augustine, Florida.
- Kamal, M. (2015). Developing a Sustainability Network for Information Technology Adoption and Use in Micro-Enterprises. Journal of the Midwest Association for Information Systems, 1(1), pp. 21 - 32.
- Kamal, M. (2013). A Roadmap for Microenterprise Growth through Information Technology. International Journal of Management Practice, 6(1), pp. 4-23.
- Qureshi, S., Kamal, M., & Wolcott, P. (2009). Information Technology Interventions for Growth and Competitiveness in Micro-Enterprises. International Journal of E-Business Research, 5(1).
- Wolcott, P., Kamal, M., & Qureshi, S. (2008). Meeting the Challenges of ICT Adoption by Micro-enterprises. Journal of Enterprise InformationManagement,21 (6).
- Davis, A. J., Kamal, M., Schoonover, T. V., Nabukenya, J., Pietron, L. R., & de Vreede, G.-J. (2008). Incident response planning using collaboration engineering process development and validation. Journal of Information System Security, 4(3), pp. 24-45.