Main Page Content
Phone: (585) 395-5692
Office: 309 Liberal Arts Building
- South Asian History, British Imperialism
- Phd McGill University, Montreal, Canada, 1966
Dissertation: "Mutiny, Revolution or Muslim Rebellion: British Public Reactions toward the Indian Crisis of 1857."
- MA University of the Panjab, Lahore, Pakistan, 1957
- BA University of the Panjab, Lahore, Pakistan, 1954
- Ancient World
- History of Islam
- Middle East Crisis
- History of South Asia
- Asian Survey
- 1857:War of Independence or Clash of Civilizations? British Public Reactions, (Oxford University Press 2008).
- Forthcoming: "Politics and Polemics of Popular British Interpretations of India Uprising of 1857," appearing in Vol. II, of a four volume study of 1857 revolt in India edited by two specialists on South Asia at Edinburgh University, Scotland, to be published in early 2012.
- "Pakistanis in Rochester, New York: Establishing Islamic Identity in the American Melting Pot," Islamic Studies, Winter 1993, #4, Vol. 32, pp. 461-475.
- "An Aspect of Nineteenth Century Muslim Nationalism in India: Case Study of Ahmad Ullah Khan," Islamic Studies, 1987.
- "Muslim Historical Literature in the Era of Early Muslim Nationalism in India: Case Study of Sir Sayyid and Ta`ib," American Journal of Islamic Social Sciences, Vol. I, #2, August 1984, pp. 93-113.
- "God, England, and the Indian 'Mutiny': Victorian Religious Perception," The Muslim World LXXIII, April, 1983 (2), pp. 106-132.
- "Western Misrepresentations of Islam," Islamic Horizons, Vol. XIV, #10, October, 1985, pp. 10. Also published in two installments in all Wolf Publication newspapers in the Rochester metro area in 1984.
- "Gogira Rebellion in Southeastern Punjab," Islamic Studies, XVI #2, 197, pp. 65-95..
Conferences and Presentations
- "Parting Ways. Political Evolution of the Pakistan Movement, 1857-1909," presented at the 46th New York Conference on Asian Studies, October 1-2, 2010 The College at Brockport, SUNY.
- "The Eurocentric View of History: British Case Studies," 1993. Parliament of the World's Religions, October, 1993, Chicago, IL.
- "British Historical Writings and Muslim India: Case Studies," presented at the 21st Annual Conference of the Association of Muslim Social Scientists, Michigan University, East Lansing, October 30-November 1, 1992. Published in the Proceedings of the Twenty-First Annual Conference, 1993, Herndon, VA, pp. 405-514.
- "Rochester Media, Islam, and the Local Muslim Community" presented at the 18th Annual Conference of the Association of Muslim Social Scientists, October 27-29, 1989, The College at Brockport, SUNY.
- "Islamic Resurgence Among Pakistani Muslims in Rochester, NY," also presented at the 12th South Asian Conference, Madison, WI, and Islam in America Conference, University of Massachusetts at Amherst, MA, April 15-16, 1988.
- "Mercenary and Nationalist Instincts of the Native Army: Sepoy Ambivalence toward the British," presented at the 34th Annual Convention of the Association of Asian Studies, April 2-4, 1982, Chicago, IL.