Main Page Content


A passport is a document that certifies both the identity and nationality of its holder. Passports are issued by the national government of your country and are required for international travel.

passport picture

Immigration regulations state that you are responsible for keeping your passport valid at all times during your stay here in the United State. Your passport can be revalidated or renewed through your embassy or consulate.

Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility

The Form I-20 is a three-page document issued by a U.S. college or university which certifies you are enrolled in SUNY- Brockport and provides the supporting information you need to secure a U.S. student visa.

All international students who have been accepted and have submitted adequate financial documents to SUNY- Brockport will be mailed an official letter of acceptance and Form I-20 . You will need this Form I-20 when you come to the U.S. to prove you’re eligible to get into the U.S. as a student at U.S immigration inspection at the port of entry.

I-20 image

In order to receive a Form I-20 , you need to submit your financial documents showing you or your sponsor has financial ability to cover the cost of attendance to SUNY- Brockport. Required financial documents for you to submit are listed below:

  1. Official financial documents

    Official financial documents need to include either your name or your sponsor's name, with a date, signature, and seal of a bank official showing a current balance of at least U.S. $34,289 (undergraduate) or $39,715 (graduate).

    SUNY-Brockport requires proof of funds of $4,000 per year for each child dependent and $6,000 per year for a spouse. Such proof of funding is required by the U.S. government that necessitates that all international students and their dependents present proof of financial resources.

  2. Original letter written, signed with date by your financial sponsor

    The Financial Sponsor Form needs to state that you or your sponsor will be responsible for your expenses while attending SUNY- Brockport. The exact amount of the funding being sponsored must be listed. However, if the original bank statement listed above is in your name, you do not need to provide this form.

Visa Information: F-1 Student Visa

What Is a Visa?

A visa is a stamped or pasted confirmation made in the passport by an American consular or embassy official outside the U.S. It indicates that all requirements have been met for entry into the U.S The number of entries allowed within a specified period is indicated on the visa and can vary from country to country.

A valid visa is essential for entering and re-entering the U.S. (except for Canadian citizens, in which case a passport is sufficient), but it does not determin the length of time you may remain in the U.S.

US visa example

F-1 Student Visa

F-1 student visa is the specific type of visa, which is required for most international students to enter and study in the United States. To secure your F-1 visa, you will need to apply through a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country.

You will need to obtain F-1 student visa if you are:

  1. Currently in your country of citizenship, or
  2. Not in the United States and not in your country of citizenship, and
  3. Do not possess a valid (or unexpired) F-1 student visa

You may not need to obtain F-1 student visa if you:

Possess a valid F-1 visa from another school. Show your Brockport I-20 to the Immigration Officer at your port of entry. If you use your Brockport I-20 to enter the United States, you must be prepared to attend SUNY-Brockport.

How do I to Obtain an F-1 Student Visa?

The U.S. Department of State maintains an excellent website on the visa application process, and you should study it carefully. You can also find information about how long it will take to get your visa. Students applying for initial-entry F-1 and F-2 visas may be issued the visas up to 120 days before the academic program start date as noted on the I-20.

You must show your Form I-20 and your passport to the nearest US Embassy or Consulate to officially apply for a student (F-1) visa with the following items:

  • Entire I-20 form
  • The original letter of acceptance to SUNY- Brockport
  • Original bank statement showing the amount you and/or your sponsor are expected to support for your expenses while at Brockport, as shown on your I-20 (Item 8a-Student's personal funds, and 8c Funds from another source)
    * Letter of Support: Indicates the amount of funding to be provided by your sponsor
    * Letter of guarantee: Indicates the amount of funding from the bank or other agency if a loan is part of your support.
  • Copies of all academic records
  • Scholarship or assistantship notification letter (Item 8b on I-20-Funds from this school) only if you have been awarded an assistantship from Brockport
  • Assistantship or campus employment notification (Item 8d on I-20 On-campus employment) if awarded

Transfer Students

If you are in the United States already and are transferring to SUNY- Brockport from another school and do not intend to leave the United States prior to your arrival at Brockport, you will need a separate action in order to complete your transfer.

Bring your Brockport I-20 and your passport, to the International Student Services no later than 5 days after the beginning of classes and complete a school transfer form. An advisor will endorse your transfer to SUNY-Brockport, and return your I-20 to you. Failure to do so may jeopardize your visa status, so please be careful.

Last Updated 11/20/18

Close mobile navigation