Main Page Content
Office: 330 Tuttle North
Phone: (585) 395-5252
- PhD, The Ohio State University
- MA, The Ohio State University
- BA, University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez
Area(s) of Specialty
- Teacher Education
- Adapted Physical Education
- Affective Domain in Physical Education and Sports
- Social Inclusion (Transition)
- Diversity in Physical Education
Publications (Articles in Journals)
- Madrid-Lopez, P., Prieto-Ayuso, A., Samalot-Rivera, A. & Madrona, P. (2016). An extracurricular proposal for the promotion of appropriate attitudes in physical education and sports. Retos, 30,36-43.
- Sato, T., Samalot-Rivera, A., Kozub, F. M. (in press). New Graduate Entry: Students’ Transition to Adapted Physical Education Graduate Program. The Physical Educator.
- Vidoni, C., Samalot-Rivera, A., Sato, T. (2015). The Importance of Movement Skills in the Early Years. Early Years Bulletin: http://www.acei.org/early-years-bulletin-1/
- Samalot-Rivera, A., & Vidoni, C. (2015). Steps to teach appropriate sports and games behaviors through physical education. Journal of Physical Education Recreation and Dance, 86:5, 8-13.
- Samalot- Rivera, A., Aleman, A. & Volmar, V.(2015). Increasing transition opportunities for youth with disabilities: Existing successful programs and steps to follow in program selection. Journal of Physical Education Recreation and Dance, 86:4, 57-61.
- Samalot-Rivera, A., Lieberman, L. J., Haibach, P. S. (2015). Teaching Two Critical Locomotor Skills to Children who are Blind. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness (JVIB). www.afb.org/info/publications/jvib/12
- Madrona, P., Samalot-Rivera, A., Gutierrez-Marin, E.C., Rodenas-Jiménez, J. & Rodenas-Jiménez, M.LL. (2014). Improving social skills through physical education in elementary 4th year. American Journal of Sport Science and Medicine, 2(6a), 5-8.
- Munster, M., Liberman, L., Samalot-Rivera, A. & Houston-Wilson, C. (2014). Individualized education plan applied to physical education: Validation of inventory in Portuguese version. Revista da Sobama, Marília, 15:1, 43-54. (published in English and Portuguese).
- Samalot-Rivera, A. (2014). Role playing in physical education to teach in the affective domain. Teaching Tips Section. Journal of Physical Education Recreation and Dance, 85:2, 41-43.
- Samalot-Rivera, A. (2013). Models to teach values and appropriate social skills in physical education and sports: A literature review. Lecturas EFDeportes, 184. (Published in Spanish) http://www.efdeportes.com/efd184/la-ensenanza-de-valores-y-destrezas-sociales.htm
- Samalot- Rivera, A. (2013). Recreation can help teens with needs transition to community life. Expert Beacon. http://expertbeacon.com/recreation-can-help-teens-needs-transition-community-life/#.U4TjtlOM79U
- Samalot-Rivera, A. & Porretta, D.L. (2012). The influence of social skills instruction on sport and game related behaviors of students with emotional or behavioral disorders. Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy, 17, 1-16. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17408989.2011.631004
- Lionel, J. & Samalot-Rivera, A. (2012). Essential pillars to the development of high performance athletes. Lecturas EFDeportes, 173. (written in Spanish). http://www.efdeportes.com/efd173/la-preparacion-de-atletas-de-alto-rendimiento.htm
- Medina, W. & Samalot-Rivera, A. (2012). Impact of the transition process from the school to the community for students of the adapted physical education program. Lecturas EFDeportes, 166. (written in Spanish). http://www.efdeportes.com/efd166/programa-de-educacion-fisica-adaptada.htm
- Hodge, S., Sato, T., Samalot-Rivera, A., Hersman, B., LaMaster, K., Casebolt, K., and Ammah, J. (2009). Teachers’ beliefs on inclusion and teaching students with disabilities: A representation of diverse voices. Journal of Multicultural Learning and Teaching, 4 (2).
- Hodge, S., Ammah, J., Casebolt, K., LaMaster, K., Hersman, B., Samalot-Rivera, A., Sato, T. (2009). A diversity of voices: Physical education teachers’ beliefs about inclusion and teaching students disabilities. The International Journal of Disability, Development and Education, 56 (4).
- Samalot-Rivera, A. & Porretta, D.L. (2009). Perceptions and practices of adapted physical educators on the teaching of social skills. Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly, 26, 172
- Samalot-Rivera, A. & Hodge, S. (2008). Secondary physical education teachers' beliefs on teaching students with disabilities at schools in Puerto Rico. Lecturas EFDeportes, 123. teaching-students-with-disabilites.htm
- Samalot-Rivera, A. (2007). The Effects of a Social Skill Instruction on the Sport and Game Related Behaviors of Children and Adolescents with Emotional or Behavioral Disabilities. The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH. (Doctoral Dissertation). http://rave.ohiolink.edu/etdc/view?acc_num=osu1186774990
- Samalot-Rivera, A. (2007). Transition from school to community for youth with disabilities and physical education. Gente Especial; May-June. Written in Spanish.
- Samalot-Rivera, A. (2012). Teaching values and social skills through physical education and sport: “A guide for teachers and coaches”. Bayamón, Puerto Rico: Axios. (written in Spanish)
Publications (Book Chapters)
- Liberman, L. & Samalot-Rivera, A. (2016). Community Programs, Sports, Fitness and Motor Activities for Children with Disabilities: A Practical Approach to Increased Physical Activity Beyond the School Day. Lanham, Maryland: Rowman & Littlefield.
Born and raised in Puerto Rico. Amaury came to The College at Brockport in 2013. He taught for 10 years in the Elementary and Special Physical Education Department of University of Puerto Rico at Bayamon. Amaury is the former pitching coach of the Puerto Rico Female National Softball Team. He enjoys playing softball and coaching his two sons (baseball).