The Political Science and International Studies Department proudly sponsors the Brockport European Union Simulation club (EuroSim).
Main Page Content
Video shot by: Jordan Soldaczewski
The continent alternating multi-day annual event is the oldest simulation of its kind. Started by Brockport’s own Dr. Bill Andrews in 1987, the transAtlantic organization now boasts twenty member colleges and universities from Europe and the United States.
Students are assigned alter-egos to represent from European Union institutions (Commission, Parliament, Council of Ministers, etc) and then participate at the annual inter-institutional conference to debate and deliberate about proposals on current issues facing the European Union. Dr. Jurek is the faculty advisor for this club which meets weekly to prepare for the international competition.
Active involvement in this organization
- enhances oral communication skills through debate, negotiation and compromise with other students.
- exposes students to politics and cultures from all over the world.
- boosts research skills.
- gives real experience to political decision making process.
- provides students with networking opportunities.
- provides students with the opportunity to travel internationally.
- increases marketability for future employment.
Why You Should Join
- A great experience of how to use politics in a real world setting.
- High impact experience that teaches students how to use their knowledge in a practical manner.
- Interact with students from around the world who have interests similar to yours.
- Opportunity to travel to different places around the world.
- Looks great on a resume.
All students, whether they have previous experience in the club or not, can apply to go to the conference, but there is a limited amount of students who can go. The decision process is done through a blind essay, read and critiqued by the chair of the department, where students advocate for why they would be a good representation of our school at an international conference, and what they think the conference would do for their education.
This years conference will be held in Brussels, Belgium. Due to the conference being located outside of the United States, the amount of students who can be brought this year is limited, with only 15 students being able to take part in the simulation.
Since 2009, the EuroSim club has participated in the following conferences:
- 2009: Canisius College, NY
- 2010: University of Antwerp, Belgium.
- 2011: Widener University, PA
- 2012: University of Lower Silesia, Wroclaw, Poland
- 2013: East Stroudsburg University, PA
- 2014: University of Twente, Enschede, Netherlands
- 2015: Skidmore College, Saratoga Springs, NY
- 2016: University of Antwerp, Belgium
- 2017: The College at Brockport, Brockport, New York