Main Page Content
Dr. Robert Y. Shum
Office: 209D Hartwell Hall
- PLS 312 Introduction to Public Administration
- PLS 318 State and Local Government
- PLS 327 Comparative Legal Systems
- PLS 328 Politics of Energy
- Robert Shum teaches courses at the intersections of politics with law and public policy. He applies a broad range of theoretical and methodological approaches to his current research interests in energy and environmental policy, to which he also brings his prior experience of legal and policy processes in practice, as a participant in international trade negotiations with the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, and, before that, as a specialist in international trade and finance policy at Harvardâ€™s Kennedy School of Government.
- Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University, Nitze School of Advanced International Studies, 2011
- M.P.P., Harvard University, Kennedy School of Government, 2001
- LL.B., University of British Columbia, 1998
- B.A., McGill University, 1995
- “Effects of economic recession and local weather on climate change attitudes,” Climate Policy, 2012, 12 (1): 38-49, doi: 10.1080/14693062.2011.579316.
- “Can attitudes predict outcomes? Public opinion, democratic institutions and environmental policy,” Environmental Policy and Governance, 2009, 19 (5): 281-295.
- “The Institutional Legitimacy of the International Trade System,” in Okafor and Aginam, eds., Humanizing Our Global Order: Essays in Honour of Ivan Head, University of Toronto Press, 2003.