Main Page Content
Office Phone: (585) 395-5774
129 Holmes Hall
- 2010-2013: Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for Alcohol and Addiction Studies, Brown University
- 2010: Ph.D., Human Development and Family Studies, Pennsylvania State University
- 2006: M.S., Human Development and Family Studies, Pennsylvania State University
- 2004: B.A., Psychology/Sociology, SUNY Geneseo
- Social influences on youth substance use
- Parenting in adolescence and emerging adulthood
- Application of latent variable models on youth development
- Developmentally appropriate measurement
- Abar C.C., Koban, K., Farnett, S., Mendola, K. & Clark, G. (2017). Profiles of family routines during adolescence associated with profiles of health behaviors in young adulthood. Journal of Health Psychology, in press.
- Abar, C.C., Clark, G., & Koban, K. (2017). The long-term impact of family routines and parental monitoring on alcohol use and health behaviors: Results from a 14 year follow-up. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 26(9), 2495-2504.
- Jackson, K.M., Merrill, J.E., Barnett, N.P., Colby, S.M., Abar, C.C., Hayes, K.L., & Rodgers, M.L. (2016). Contextual influences on early drinking: Characteristics of drinking and non-drinking days. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 30, 566-577. PMID: 27269292
- Kenney, S., Abar, C.C., O’Brien, K., Clark, G., & LaBrie, J. (2016). Trajectories of alcohol use and alcohol-related consequences in college women with and without depressed mood. Addictive Behaviors, 53, 19-22. PMID: 26426743
- Merrill, J. E., Martin, S., Abar, C.C., & Jackson, K. M. (2016). Trajectories and correlates of reasons for abstaining or limiting drinking during adolescence. Addictive Behaviors, 52, 1-7. PMID: 26320735
- Abar, C.C., Mallett, K.A., Turrisi, R, & Abar, B. (2016). First- and second-hand alcohol-related consequences: Differential associations with later use. Journal of Substance Use, 21, 107-111. PMID: 27182199
- Abar, C.C., Hernandez, L., Rodriquez, A.M., & Spirito, A. (2015). Trajectories of adolescent alcohol use in the year following a brief alcohol intervention. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 76, 710-720. PMID: 26402351
- Jackson, K.M., Colby, S.M., Barnett, N.P., & Abar, C.C. (2015). Prevalence and correlates of sipping alcohol in a prospective middle school sample. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 29, 766-778. PMID: 25938631
- Marceau, K., Abar, C.C., & Jackson, K.M. (2015). Parental knowledge is a contextual amplifier of associations of pubertal maturation and substance use. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 44, 1720-1734. PMID: 26208832
- Abar, C.C., Jackson, K.M., Colby, S.M., & Barnett, N. (2015). Parent-child discrepancies in reports of parental monitoring and their relationship to adolescent alcohol-related behaviors. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 44, 1688-1701. PMID: 24964878
- Abar, C.C., Jackson, K.M., Colby, S.M., & Barnett, N.P. (2014). Common and unique parenting predictors of adolescent tobacco and alcohol use. Addictive Behaviors, 39, 1528-32. PMID: 24976458
- Abar, C.C., Jackson, K.M., & Wood, M.D. (2014). Reciprocal relations between parental monitoring and adolescent substance use and delinquency: The moderating role of parent-teen relationship quality. Developmental Psychology, 50, 2176-2187.
- Jackson, K. M., Roberts, M., Colby, S. M., Barnett, N. P., Abar, C. C., & Merrill, J. (2014). Willingness to drink as a function of peer offers and peer norms in early adolescence. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 75, 404-414. PMID: 24766752
- Abar, C.C., Turrisi, R., & Mallett, K. (2014). Differential trajectories of alcohol-related behaviors across the first year of college by parenting profiles. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 28, 53-61. PMID:23915366
- Varvil-Weld, L., Scaglione, N., Cleveland, M., Mallett, K.A., Turrisi, R., & Abar, C.C. (2014). Optimizing timing and dosage: Does parent type moderate the effects of variations of a parent-based intervention to reduce college student drinking? Prevention Science, 15, 94-102. PMID: 23404668
- Abar, B., Abar, C.C., & Boudreaux, E. (2013). Feasibility of audit methods to study access to substance use treatment. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 45, 395-399. PMID:23871507
- Cleveland, M., Hultgren, B.A., Varvil-Weld, L., Mallett, K.A., Turrisi, R., & Abar, C.C. (2013). Moderation of a parent-based intervention on transitions in drinking: Examining the role of normative perceptions and attitudes among high- and low-risk first-year college students. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 37, 1587-1594. PMID:23551037
- Turrisi, R., Mallett, K.A., Cleveland, M., Varvil-Weld, L., Abar, C.C., Scaglione, N. & Hultgren, B. A (2013). Evaluation of timing and dosage of a parent based intervention to minimize college students’ alcohol consumption. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 74, 30-40.
- Abar, C.C., Abar, B., Turrisi, R. & Belden, C. (2013). Communication technology used among parents and their college teens: Implications for college health promotion and risk prevention programs. Journal of The First‐Year Experience and Students in Transition, 25, 61-76.
- Varvil-Weld, L., Mallett, K.A., Turrisi, R., Cleveland, M.J., & Abar, C.C. (2013). Are certain college students prone to experiencing excessive alcohol-related consequences? Predicting membership in a high-risk subgroup using pre-college profiles. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 74, 542-551.
- Abar, B., Abar, C.C., Lippold, M., Powers, C.J., & Manning, A.E. (2012). Associations between reasons to attend and late high school dropout. Learning and Individual Differences, 22, 856-861.
- Varvil-Weld, L, Mallett, K., Turrisi, R., & Abar, C.C. (2012). Using parental profiles to predict membership in a subset of college students experiencing excessive alcohol consequences: Findings from a longitudinal study. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 73, 434-443. PMID: 22456248
- Abar, C.C. (2012). Examining the relationship between parenting types and patterns of student alcohol‐related behavior during the transition to college. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 26, 2-29. PMID: 21842968
- Abar, C.C., Morgan, N., Small, M., & Maggs, J. (2012). Investigating associations between parental alcohol‐related messages and college student drinking. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 73, 71-79. PMID: 22152664
- Mallett, K., Turrisi, R., Ray, A., Stapelton, J., Mastroleo, N., Abar, C., Tollison, S., Grossbard, J., & Larimer, M. (2011). Do parents know best? Examining the relationship between parenting profiles, prevention efforts, and high-risk drinking in college students. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 41, 2904-2927.
- Abar, C.C., Fernandez, A., & Wood, M. (2011). Parent‐teen communication and pre‐college alcohol involvement: A latent class analysis. Addictive Behaviors, 36, 1357-1360. PMID: 21864983
- Small, M., Morgan, N., Abar, C., & Maggs, J. (2011). Protective effects of parent-college student communication during the first semester of college. Journal of American College Health, 59, 547-555. PMID: 21660810
- Mallett, K.A., Marzell, M., Varvil-Weld, L., Turrisi, R., Guttman, K., & Abar, C. (2011). One-time or repeat offenders? An examination of the patterns of alcohol-related consequences experienced by college students across the freshman year. Addictive Behaviors, 36, 508-511. PMID: 21276662 PMCID: PMC3063062
- Abar, C., Turrisi, Abar, B. (2010). Tailgating as a unique context for parental modeling on college student alcohol use. Journal of Adolescence, 967, 1-4. PMID: 20561673
- Turrisi, R., Abar, C., Mallett, K., & Jaccard, J. (2010). An examination of the mediational effects of cognitive and attitudinal factors of a parent intervention to reduce college drinking. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 40, 2500-2526. PMID: 21318080 PMCID: PMC3035912
- Abar, C., & Maggs, J.L. (2010). Social influence and selection processes as predictors of normative perceptions and alcohol use across the transition to college. Journal of College Student Development, 51, 496-508. PMID: 21072330 PMCID: PMC2976626
- Abar, C., Abar, B., & Turrisi, R. (2009). The impact of parental modeling and permissibility on alcohol use and experienced negative drinking consequences in college. Addictive Behaviors, 34, 542-547. PMID: 19398278 PMCID: PMC2716564
- Abar, C., & Turrisi, R. (2008). How important are parents during the college years? A longitudinal perspective of indirect influences parents yield on their college teens’ alcohol use. Addictive Behaviors, 33, 1360-1368. PMID: 18635318 PMCID: PMC2553886
- Patrick, M. E., Maggs, J. L., & Abar, C. (2007). Reasons to have sex, personal goals, and sexual behavior during the transition to college. The Journal of Sex Research, 44, 240-249. PMID: 17879167
- BOOK CHAPTERS
- Turrisi, R., Ray, A., & Abar, C. (2010). Are we done parenting?: Examining the relationship of parental monitoring to prevent high-risk alcohol consumption in college students. In J. Jaccard, P. Dittus, and V. Guilamo-Ramos (Eds.), Parental monitoring of adolescents. NY: Guilford Press.
- Patrick, M. E., Abar, C., & Maggs, J. L. (2008). Adolescent drinking. Encyclopedia of the life course and human development. Gale: Farmington Hills, MI.
HONORS & AWARDS
2017 Brockport Presidential Teaching Excellence Award Nominee
2016 Brockport Roland Fontaine Award for Student Engagement Nominee
2016 Brockport Presidential Discretionary Salary Award
2014 NYS UUP Individual Development Grant
2014 Brockport Office for Student with Disabilities Recognition
2012 Senior Fellow, Center for Alcohol and Addiction Studies, Brown University
2012 Research Excellence Award, Center for Alcohol and Addiction Studies
2011 NIAAA funded Junior Investigator Award, Research Society on Alcoholism
2009-2011 Society for Prevention Research Early Career Prevention Network Scholarship
2009 Society for Prevention Research Sloboda and Bukoski Cup Competition Winner
2008 Penn State Grace Henderson Scholarship for Outstanding Graduate Student
2006-2010 NIAAA funded Research Society on Alcoholism Student Merit Award
2005 The Pennsylvania State University Outstanding Graduate Award
2004 Phi Beta Kappa
- PSH 684 – Advanced Developmental Psychology
- PSH 203 – Statistics Lab
- PSH 202 – Introductory Statistics
- PSH 384 – Child Psychology
- PSH 484 – Adolescence
CV: Curriculum Vitae