Main Page Content
Office: Holmes Hall 127
- B.S., M.S., & Ph.D. at the University of Florida
- Factors impacting language at both the word and sentence levels; both age-related changes and changes induced by our use of technologies; the effects of misspellings on reading comprehension in young and older adults; the effects of negation on reading comprehension and metacomprehension in young adults and older adults.
- Margolin, S.J., Toland, M.J. + (in press). Should we LOL? The effects of text messaging on young adults' spelling. The Journal of Reading, Writing and Literacy.
- Margolin, S.J., Driscoll, C. +, Toland, M.J. +, & Kegler, J.L. (2013). E-readers, computer screens, or paper: Does reading comprehension change across media platforms? Applied Cognitive Psychology, 27, 512-519.
- Margolin, S.J. (2013). Can bold typeface improve readers' comprehension and metacomprehension of negation? Reading Psychology, 34(1), 85-99.
- Margolin, S.J., & Hover, P.A. (in press). Metacomprehension and negation: Assessing readers’ awareness of the difficulty of negated text. Reading Psychology.
- Abrams, L., Farrell, M., & Margolin, S.J. (2010). Older adults' detection of misspellings during reading. Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences, 65B, 680-683.
- Desrochers, M.N., & Margolin, S.J. (2010). Factorial Design Tutorial. Society for the Teaching of Psychology Resources.
- Margolin, S.J., & Abrams, L. (2009). Not may not be too difficult: The effects of negation on older adults’ sentence comprehension. Educational Gerontology, 35, 308-322.
- Margolin, S.J., & Abrams, L. (2007). Individual differences in spelling ability: Do good spellers age better than poor spellers? Aging, Neuropsychology, and Cognition, 14, 529-544.
- Abrams, L., Trunk, D.L., & Margolin, S.J. (2007). Resolving tip-of-the-tongue states in young and older adults: The role of phonology. In L.O. Randal (Ed.), Aging and the Elderly: Psychology, Sociology, and Health (pp. 1-41). Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers, Inc
Grants and Awards
- Margolin (2011-2012) Older adults’ comprehension and metacomprehension. Scholarly Incentive Award
- Desrochers, M., Margolin, S., & Birch, S. (2008) Nelson-DennyTM Assessment, Funded by Dr. Fox’s Office of Assessment
- Margolin, S., Birch, S., & Desrochers, M. N. (2008-2009) Computer-based training for improvement of student study skills in a peer mentoring program. Faculty/Staff Technology Support Initiative
- Sigma-Xi Grant-in-Aid of Research Award (2005-2006)
- Sigma-Xi Grant-in-Aid of Research Award (2004-2005)
- Madelyn Lockhart Dissertation Fellowship
- E. Porter Horne Memorial Scholarship
- Southern Gerontological Society Best Paper Award
- Cognitive Processes
- Sensation and Perception
- Research Methods
- Psychology of Aging
- Principles of Psychology
Master's Thesis Supervision
- Master’s Thesis: Spell Checker Dependency? The Impact on Spelling Recognition & Producing Correctly Spelled Words
CV: Sara J. Margolin