Main Page Content
The Psychology Department offers undergraduate (BA and BS) and graduate (MA) degrees in psychology, as well as an undergraduate minor. Our programs are based on the conception of psychology as the scientific study of behavior and experience aligned with the goals set forth by the American Psychological Association, and we provide solid training in:
- the traditionalfoundation knowledge of psychology, including physiological and comparative perspectives on behavior; learning, cognition, and perception; personality and social psychology; life-span developmental psychology; and abnormal psychology and mental health
- critical and analytical thinking
- research and the scientific method
- both theoretical and applied perspectives on behavior
- quantitative skills important in psychology
- written communication
- a rich selection of skills and perspectives related to behavior and experience
We also provide a variety of opportunities for students to acquire direct, hands-on experience in settings where they can apply what they have learned in their courses. Such opportunities include:
- working in faculty laboratories on ongoing research projects or, in some cases, on projects of the student's own design
- psychology teaching practica
- working in a broad spectrum of community service, educational, and/or clinical settings
Informational Modulesabout Psychology
Psychology as a Major: Psychology as a Major: This module provides a brief overview of psychology as a major. Topics include choosing a college major (and getting the most out of it), the field (and sub-fields) within psychology and the psychology major here at The College at Brockport, common misconceptions about the major, and the job outlook, including growth areas in psychology
Graduate School: Options for Graduate School in Psychology: The module offers an overview of degree programs in psychology and how to make yourself a competitive applicant. It also includes a timeline for applying to graduate school.
Careers with a B.S.: Career Options with a Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology: This module describes where individuals with Bachelor’s Degrees in psychology work, and also gives tips on what employers are looking for and how to secure a job.
Psychology Alumni: What are Our Psychology Alumni Up To?: This module features 10 recent Brockport Psychology Alumni.