Online registration is operational 24 hours a day, excluding downtime for system maintenance, and you can register from any computer connected to the Internet. Students are strongly encouraged to register online.
Main Page Content
Before You Register
Please check your records prior to registration for any holds that may prevent you from registering. To check for holds, sign on to Web Banner and go to "Student Services" then "View Holds". If you have a hold, use the link to the Faculty and Staff Directory to contact the holding office regarding clearance. Only the office that placed the hold on your record can clear it.
Permision Key Number
A Permission Key Number (PKN) is the electronic signature of the instructor that the instructor or the academic department provides a student in order to enroll in a course that is not otherwise open to the student. PKNs must be obtained from the course instructor for any course that is closed or otherwise restricted. The Office of Registration and Records does not assign PKNs to students.
To determine if you need a PKN to register for a course, go to the online course schedule, click on the underlined Course Registration Number (CRN) for the course in question. If a PKN is needed, you will see "Department Approval" on the class schedule listing page on the upper left side. On the lower left side, you will see any restrictions on the course that also might require that you have a PKN to register.
Course Registration Number (CRN)
Each course is associated with a four-digit Course Registration Number (CRN) that is used to identify the course during the registration process.
- The CRN can be found to the far left of the course discipline code (or subject code) and number in the course listings for each department. Here is an example: 8278 SPN 111.31.
- When choosing courses prior to registration, be sure to make note of the CRNs as well as the course disciplines and course numbers. You will be using the CRNs to register for your courses.
- Click on the CRN to obtain supplemental course information and/or course notes, on the online Course Schedule.
- To register for courses using the online system, you will need to have your Brockport ID Number or your Social Security Number and your Personal Identification Number (PIN) as well as the four-digit Course Reference Number (CRN) for each course.
- Go to www.brockport.edu
- Click on Quick Links
- Click on Web Banner
Enter your User ID (SS # or Banner ID#) and current PIN (six characters, no hypens, dashes or slashes. For security purposes, we recommend that your PIN contain both letters and numbers. Please note that your PIN is case sensitive).
First Time User?
- Enter your 6-digit birth date as your PIN in MMDDYY format (i.e. July 6, 1987=070687)
- Click Login
- Enter Old PIN (enter your birth date again)
- Enter New PIN (make up and enter a new six-character PIN (no hypens, dashes or slashes. For security purposes, we recommend that your PIN contain both letters and numbers. Please note that your PIN is case sensitive)
- Re-enter New PIN (enter the PIN that you just created)
- Security question (enter a short question with a one-word answer that only you will know and that will always stay the same). Your answer is case sensitive.
Forgot your PIN?
- Enter your User ID (SS # or Banner ID) and click Forgotten/ Disabled PIN
- Enter the correct answer to your security question and click Submit Answer
- You will be asked to enter a new PIN for future access
- If you don't remember the answer, click I forgot my answer, reset my PIN automatically .
- Go to www.brockport.edu/support/lits/email for your PIN Reset Authorization Code and instructions to reset your PIN.
If you are having trouble getting into Web Banner with your PIN Number, call the Office of Registration and Records at (585) 395-2531 during business hours.
- Click on Student Services
- Click on Registration. If you have a hold on your records, you will receive a message stating that you cannot register at this time. You should contact the office that placed the hold on your records. Use the link to the Faculty and Staff Directory to obtain the office location and phone number regarding clearance.
Do you have a Permission Key Number?
- Click on the Permission Key Number link
- Enter the Course Registration Number (CRN) and the Permission Key Number
- Click on Submit Permission Key
- Then, click on the Back to Registration Menu link at the bottom of the page and continue to the next step to add the class.
Continue with the next step.
- Click on Registration/Add/Drop Classes
- Select Term (SUMMER)
Add CRN #s. You can also search for courses while your register.
Click on the Search for Classes button, select the appropriate search criteria, click on Class Search. You can check the box in front of the CRN and click Register to directly register for the course or Add to Worksheet to make course selections from which to build your schedule.
Click on Submit Changes
The courses successfully registered will appear as Web Registered with the date.
Courses not successfully registered (scroll down) will appear as registration errors and the reason will be given in the status column to the left.
You cannot override these sections. You will need to get a signature or PKN from the instructor or department designee to allow you to register for a closed or restricted course. Another option is to choose another open section of the course, or choose a different open course.
Very important step to prevent your courses from being removed!
Click on the Affirm your enrollment status link, click on Accept button and click Submit to affirm your enrollment and lock in your courses.
- Always exit the system by clicking on Exit (top right corner).
- Close your browser to protect your privacy.