Main Page Content
Online registration is open!
WinterSession '18 online registration is accessible from computers on campus and off campus. In order to use the online services, you will need to have your College at Brockport ID number or your Social Security number.
Quick Online Registration Links
- PIN Number
- Permission Key Number
- Course Reference Number (CRN)
- Registration Errors
- Online Registration Instructions
- How to Drop your Course Online
The PIN (Personal Identification Number) is a number the student selects to protect the privacy of their (his/her) own computer data.
- The first time the Campus Information System (Web Banner) is used, the student will be asked to enter their birthday (to verify their identity) in the mm/dd/yy format. (January 3, 1985 = 010385)
- The student will then be directed to create a new PIN that:
- that has 6 digits (a combination of letters and numbers)
- is not their birthday
- is not all zeroes
- In the future you will always be asked for this PIN number to gain access to the Campus Information System. This will provide security for your records.
- If you forget your PIN number, enter your User ID and click on "Forgot PIN". The security question you entered into the system will appear. Enter the answer to the security question and click on "Submit." You will then be prompted to create a new six digit PIN which will be required for future access. If you are still unable to get into the online system, call the Office of Registration and Records at (585) 395-2531 to have your PIN number reset. For your protection, a list of PIN numbers does not exist.
Permission Key Number
A Permission Key Number is the electronic signature of the instructor that the instructor or the academic department provides a student in order to enroll in a course that is not otherwise open to the student.
- This number is specific to one particular section of the course and is unique.
- Each number can be used only once.
- Each number can be used only for the section of the course to which it was assigned.
- When you register for a course which requires a permission key number, it is a two step process. (See Step #8 in the “How to Register Online.")
- Permission to enter any course that requires approval is a privilege. Instructors/academic departments are not obligated to grant registration permission to individuals.
Course Reference Number
Each course is associated with a four-digit course reference number (CRN) that is used to identify the course during the registration process.
- The CRN can be found to the far left of the course discipline code (or subject code) and number in the course listings for each department in this printed course schedule and also on the online course schedule.
- Here is an example: 2536 ACC 281.01 - The CRN is 2536.
- When choosing your course prior to registration, be sure to make note of the CRN as well as the course discipline and course number. You will be using the CRN to register for your course. Click on the underlined CRN for more course information.
Examples of registration errors: Closed sections, time conflicts, signature required, prerequisites or duplicate section. You cannot override these errors. You will need to get permission (a signature or a permission key number) from the proper person (the instructor or the department chairperson) to override the error.
If you obtain a permission key number, you can register online. It is a two step process (refer to step #8 on the “How to Register Online for Courses” section) or go to the Office of Registration and Records in person. The office staff can use this permission key number to register you for the course.
When you get the proper signature, you will need to bring the permission signature to the Office of Registration and Records in person. The office staff will use the permission signature to override the error and register you for the course.
Online registration is operational 24 hours a day and you can register from any computer connected to the internet anywhere, from the Brockport Home page. Students are strongly encouraged to register online.
Before you register:
- Please check your records prior to registration for any holds that may prevent you from registering. To check for holds, sign on to Web Banner and go to "Student Services" then "View Holds." If you have a hold, use the link to the Faculty and Staff Directory to contact the holding office regarding clearance. The Office of Registration and Records cannot clear holds.
Only the office that placed the hold on your records can clear it.
- Permission Key Numbers must be obtained from the course instructor for any course that may be closed or otherwise restricted.
- Please note: The Office of Registration and Records does not assign Permission Key Numbers to students.
How to Register
- To register for a WinterSession '18 course using the online system, you will need to know the four-digit Course Reference Number (CRN) for the course.
- Go to www.brockport.edu
- Click "Quick Links" button
- Click on "Web Banner"
Enter your User ID (SS # or Banner ID#) and current PIN (six characters - no hyphens, dashes or slashes. For security purposes, your PIN must contain both letters and numbers). Please note that your PIN is case sensitive
- Enter your 6-digit birth date as your PIN in MMDDYY format (i.e. July 6, 1987 = 070687)
- Click Login
- Enter Old PIN – enter your birth date again
- Enter New PIN – make up and enter a new six-character PIN (no hyphens, dashes or slashes. For security purposes, your PIN must contain both letters and numbers. Please note that your PIN is case sensitive.)
- Re-enter New PIN – enter the PIN that you just created again
- Security question – Suggestion: Enter a short question with a one-word answer that only you will know and that will always stay the same.
Forgot your PIN?
Enter your User ID (SS # or Banner ID) and click "Forgotten/ Disabled PIN?" Enter the correct answer to your security question and click "Submit Answer". You’ll be asked to enter a new PIN for future access. If you don’t remember the answer, click "I forgot my answer, reset my PIN automatically."
- Click on "Student Services"
- Click on "Registration"
If you have a hold on your records, you will receive a message stating that you can’t register at this time. You should contact the office that placed the hold on your records. Use the link to the Faculty and Staff Directory to obtain the office location and phone number regarding clearance.
Do you have a Permission Key Number?
If YES, click on the "Permission Key Number" link, Enter the CRN and the Permission Key Number and click on "Submit Permission Key." Then, click on the "Back to the Registration Menu" link at the bottom of the page and continue to the next step to add the class.
If NO, Continue with the next step.
- Click on "Registration/Add/Drop Classes"
- Select Term - Winter
Add CRN - You can also search for courses while you register. Click on the "Search for Classes" button, select the appropriate search criteria, click on "Class Search". You can check the box in front of the CRN and click "Register" to directly register the course or "Add to Worksheet" to make course selection.
Click on "Submit Changes" - The course successfully registered will appear as "Web Registered" with the date. A course not successfully registered (scroll down) will appear as a registration error and the reason will be given in the status column to the left. You cannot override these sections. You will need to get a signature or Permission Key Number from the instructor or department designee to allow you to register for a closed or restricted course.
Very important step to prevent your course from being removed! Click on "affirm your enrollment status" link and click "accept" and "submit" to affirm your enrollment and lock in your course.
- Click "Exit" (top right corner of page).
- Close your browser to protect your privacy.
How to Drop your Course Online
- Go to www.brockport.edu
- Click Quick Links button
- Click on "Web Banner"
- Enter your User ID and PIN
- Click on “Student Services”
- Click on “Registration”
- Select Term
- Click on “Registration/Add/Drop Classes” Your current schedule will appear
- Select the course you want to drop. Click on the drop down box under the Action Heading. Select Web Drop. Click on "Submit Changes".
Note: Once WinterSession '18 begins, a drop may result in financial liability. Please refer to the WinterSession '18 Refund Schedule for more information. Non-attendance does not constitute dropping or withdrawing from a course.