Main Page Content
Director, Assistant Professor of Women and Gender Studies
Office: 118 Liberal Arts Building
Phone: (585) 395-5799
- Sex and Culture; Honors Sex and Culture
- Gender, Race and Class
- Feminist Theory; Graduate Level Feminist Theory
- Feminist Research Methods
- Senior Seminar in Women and Gender Studies
- Practicum in Women and Gender Studies
New York- St. Petersburg Institute of Linguistics, Cognition and Culture, St. Petersburg State University, Russia
- Threshold Concepts in Women and Gender Studies,Summer '16
- The Sex Wars: Bodies, Laboring, and Reproduction,Summer '15
- Riot Grrrl to Little Women: Politics of Identity and Place,Summer '14
Honors Program Senior Thesis Advisor
- Rape Myths and PTSD, Spring '17
- Why Women? Gender Mainstreaming in Undergraduate Academia, Spring '17
- Pagentry and Pornography: Our Societal Standards, Spring '17
- Women and Reproductive Freedom in Chile, Fall '15
- The (de) Evolution of the Disney Princesses, Spring '15
- The Sex Wars and Gender- Based Violence, Spring '15
- Interrogation of Community in Women and Gender Studies, Spring '13
- Women in Popular Music: Empowered or Exploited?, Spring '12
- Masculinity and Rape Culture, Spring '10
- Masculinization of Medicine, Spring '09
- CSTEP and McNair Programs, Spring '04 - Spring '12, Fall '13 - Present
Teaching / Research Interests
- Global Perspective on Women and Gender
- Women's Stories as Feminist Standpoint
- Gender and Popular Culture
- Intersectionality and Higher Education Equity/Success
- International Women's Day: Historical Perspectives
- Sex and Education (1873) : Historical and Contemporary Perspectives
- University of Buffalo, Buffalo, NY
Educational Leadership and PolicyPhD, Social Foundations of Higher Education, May 2004
Research/Reading Focus, Women in Education
- Boston University, Boston, MA School of EducationEdM, Adult and Continuing Education, May 1986
- HERS Bryn Mawr Institute, Bryn Mawr, PA Bryn Mawr University Women in Higher Education Administration, July 2013
- Anglo School, London, England Royal Society of Arts, English as a Second Language, May 1982
- Rhode Island Collage, Providence, RI BS, Elementary Eduation/Early Childhood, May 1981
Teaching Concentration: English Literature/Language Arts
- Presidential Award for Teaching Excellence, Spring '17
- Fanne Barrie Williams Women of Courage Faculty Award, Spring '16
- Ronald E. Fontaine Faculty Student Scholarly Engagement Awards, The College at Brockport, Spring '15
- Diversity Engagement Award, The College at Brockport, Fall '13
- Outstanding Service to Students Award, The College at Brockport, Spring '13
- Academic;Advisement Award, The College at Brockport, Spring '13
- Honorable Mention, Mixed and Imagined,University of Rochester Susan B. Anthony Institute Faculty Juried, "If I had a Camera ...Re-Imagining Film and Media Through a Feminist Lens," March '13
- Emerging Leader Award, American Association of University Women, April '12
- Mentor of the Year, McNair/CStep, The College at Brockport, Spring '08
Invited Advisory Work
The College at Brockport
- Writing Assessment for Gender Education, Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, Spring '15
- COIL SUNY Nodal Network Brockport Coordinator, SUNY Global Center, Fall '13 - present
- Advisory and InstructionalAssessment Member, Levin Institute Global Workforce Project Module Assessor, Fall '09
- Pilot Faculty, Gender Module, Levin Institute Global Workforce Project, Summer '10 - Fall '12
- Reviewer, Freshman Summer Reading Essay Contest, Fall '07 - present.
Seneca Falls Dialogues, College Alliance
- Conference Chair, Call for Proposal Overseer/Reviewer - '08- Present
National Women's Studies Association (NWSA)
- Conference Proposal Reviewer, 2011 - Present
- "The Sexual Politics of Videogame Graphics," with Robert Mejia, In K. Gray, G. Voorhees, and E. Vossen (Eds.), Gender & Games Trilogy:
Women's Studies Volume, Palgrave, in press, January, 2018.
• "Bloom's 'Normal' and Tarttelin's 'Golden Boy': Reading Gender Fluidity Written Across Time and Text," in press, Feminist Teacher, 2016, 26 (2/3), 142-155.
• "Disrupting the Lean: Performing a 2016 Delcaration of Sentiments," with T. Schroeder, in press, The Seneca Falls Dialogues Journal, 2(1), October, 2017.
• "One Billion Rising: Theorizing Bodies, Resistance, and Engagement in a Campus Stop Violence Against Women Movement," Reflections: Public Rhetoric, Civic Writing, and Sevice Learning. June 2017, 17(1), 133-155.
- "Negotiating Sex and Gender Mediums Across Continents: Brockport, New York to Novgorod, Russia," In A. Moore and S.Simon (Eds.), Globally-Networked Learning: Theories and Practices, Routledge, May '15.
- "Faculty Learning Community (FLC) on Student Leadership: Applying Student Voices on Learning Development," second author with J. Zhang, L. Lieberman, L. Barrett, MountainRise: The International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 2014, 4(2).
- "The Capitalist Hijacking of International Women’s Day: Russian and American Considerations," first author with G. Jordain; Journal of International Women’s Studies, 2013, 14(3), 244-258.
- "The New Old Feminism: Regional Coalition and the Future of Women and Gender Studies," March '12, Women in Higher Education.
- Review of Eisenstein, "Feminism Seduced: How Global Elites Use Women's Labor and Ideas to Exploit the World," June '12, Gender and Society, Sage Publications.
- "Despite Gains, Women Still Face Inequality: International Women's Day 101 Years." Rochester Democrat and Chronicle Speaking Out Essay, March '12.
- "'Now I have Something that is Mine:' Women’s Higher Education Gains asFeminist Standpoint" (2011), with J. Bergeron, S. Evans, Wagadu: A Journal of Transnational Women’s andGender Studies (Vol. 9), Special Issue: Gender Equity in Higher Education.
- "'How to be the Best at Everything:' The Gendering and Embodiment of Boy/Girl Advice" (2011), Journal of Interdisciplinary Feminist Thought, Volume 5 (1), Women and the Media.
- "'On the Outside End:' Systems of Oppression and Academic Success" (2010), Black Women Gender and Families, Volume 4(2).
- Co Editor, Seneca Falls Dialogues Journal, Volume I, October 2015; Vol. II, Ocotber 2017.
- Editorial Introduction, with D. Uman (2015), The Seneca Falls Dialogues Journal, Vol.1, Article 2.
- Executive Editor and Founder, Dissenting Voices, 2012-present.
- Note from the Editor, Dissenting Voices: Vol6(1) (2017); Vol.5(1) (2016); Vol4(1) (2015); Vol.3(1) (2014); Vol.2(1) (2013); Vol.1(1) (2012):
- "Textual Note, Riot Grrrl to Little Women: Politics of Identity and Place Manifestos" (2015). Universals and Contrasts, Issue II
- "Note from the Editor," (2014). Dissenting Voices: Vol. 3: Is. 1, Article 3.
- "Note from the Editor," (2013). Dissenting Voices: Vol. 2: Is. 1, Article 3.
- "Editor's Note," (2012). Dissenting Voices: Vol. 1: Is. 1, Article 2.
- Executive Editor and Founder (2011), The Spectrum: A Scholars Day Journal.
- Quoted in International Women's Day 2012, Teacher Online, The Teacher Magazine, London, England.
- Review of Burn, S.M. (2011), Women Across Cultures: A Global Perspectives. New York: McGraw Hill. Segment of review quoted on text binding.
- WXXI Public Radio: Connections with Evan Dawson: "Debating Modern Feminism," February '18; "Are Women Obligated to Vote for Hillary Clinton," February '16; "Old Dominion University Frat Sigs and Rape Culture," September '15; "Checking in on Women's Progress," July '15; "Feminism," August '14.
- • Erma Bombeck: At Whit's End, Geva Theatre, Rochester, NY, Panel Discussant, July '17.
- Fannie Barrier Williams Plaque Unveiling Ceremony, Introductory Remarks, April '16.
- International Women's Day: Introductory Remarks, Career Conversations with Artist Endia Beal, The College at Brockport, Brockport, NY March '16.
- Title IX and Campus Compliance, Panel on Gender-Based Violence, The College at Brockport, Brockport, NY April '15.
- One Billion Rising and Trauma Movements, Conference on Gendered-based Violence, Novgorod State University Departments of Psychology and Sociology, Novgorod Russia, March '15
- International Women's Day: Russian and American Perspectives, Women's Rights National Historic Park, Seneca Falls, NY, March '15;Greater Rochester Area Chapter of American Association of University Women, March '15
National / International Presentations
- "Intersectionality Oppressed: Paradoxes in Liberal Feminist Lieration" National Women's Studies Association (NWSA), Baltimore, MD, November '17.
- "Building an Intergenerational Intersectional Feminist Community" National Women's Studies Association (NWSA), Program Administrator's Pre-Conference, Baltimore, MD, November '17.
- "Small Steps Guide Big Visions: A Roundtable on Growing our Women and Gender Studies Programs" National Women's Studies Association (NWSA), Baltimore, MD, November '17.
- "Brockport Novgorod COIL: A Hybrid Teaching Model" CIT Conference on Hybrid Teaching, The College at Brockport, April '17
- "The Ins and Outs of Periodic Program Rewview in Women and Gender Studies" Program Administrator's Rountable, National Women's Studies Association (NWSA), Montreal Canada, November '16.
- "Contested Identities" Transnational Teaching and Coalition-Building in Russia" Rountable, National Women's Studies Association (NWSA), Montreal Canada, November '16.
- "Dissenting Voices: Unsettling Dominant Knowing." Panel, National Women's Studies Association (NWSA), Montreal Canada, November '16.
- Bloom's "Normal" (2002) and Tarttelin's "Golden Boy (2013): Reading Gender Fluidity Written Across Time and Text," National Women's Studies Association (NWSA), Milwaukie, WI, November '15.
- "Inside the Laundry Closet," Liberal Arts Building Faculty Lecture Series, February '15; National WOmen's Studies Association (NWSA), Milwaukie, WI, November '15.
- "Lean Forward: Tecno-Feminist Pedagogies Across Boarders," National Women's Studies Association (NWSA), San Juan, Puerto Rico, November '14.
- "Feminists Queering the Campus: Approaches to LGBTQIA Equity, Inclusion and Change,"Program Administrators Roundtable, National Women's Studies Association (NWSA), San Juan, Puerto Rico, November '14
- "Clearing the Air: Social Ecologies of Identity and Place," Biennial Seneca Falls Dialogues Conference, Seneca Falls, NY, October '14.
- "Negotiating Sex and Gender Mediums Across Continents: Brockport, New York to Novgorod, Russia," 14th International Conference on Diversity in Organizations, Communities and Nations, Vienna, Austria, July '14; CIT Conference, Cornell University, May '14, ITTG Conference, SUNY Geneseo, March '14, SUNY Global Center COIL Conference, April '13.
Linkages of Rochester U.S-Russia Peer-to-Peer Dialogue Program
- United States Embassy in Moscow, $50,000 Awarded in partnership with Linkages Rochester, Fall '15, Educational Programing Domestic Violence in Russia and the U.S.
SUNY Russian Programs Network
- St. Petersburg Institute of Linguistics, Cognition, and Culture. Summer, 2014. Faculty Teaching/Travel Award, Teaching Gender Roles Across Cultures
NEH COIL Institute Fellow, State University of New York
- Global Issues in Gender Studies: Brockport, NY- Novgorod, RU : Summer ’11- Summer ’13 sponsored research, State University of New York (SUNY) COIL: Collaborative Online International Learning, National Endowment of the Humanities (NEH), Globally Networked Learning in the Humanities.