Taking Courses Outside of SUNY Brockport

Main Page Content

Once you're matriculated at SUNY Brockport, you may still take courses at other colleges and universities whether in summer school or as a visiting student.

What You Should Know

Always keep in mind that when you do this, the 64-credit and 90-credit maximums still apply.

  • If you want the course to count toward the General Education requirements or your major requirements, please complete a Student Course Approval Form
    • This form, when signed by the appropriate persons, ensures that your credit is accepted when you return. Please bring a copy of the course description when you seek approval, so they'll be able to make an informed judgment on the matter.
  • Brockport will grant transfer credit for courses in which you attain a grade of "C-" or "D"  only so long as your overall GPA for transferred credit does not fall below 2.0. (This is to ensure that you have earned at least a 2.0 for all the courses that contribute to your baccalaureate degree, whether taken here or elsewhere.)
    • This means that, if you've never transferred credits previously and you earn a "C" and a "D" in summer school elsewhere, Brockport will only grant credit for the "C."
    • If you manage a "B" and a "D," you'll get credit for both. And so on. If you already have a transfer record, then the rule for "C-" or below is based upon your total transfer GPA. 

Last Updated 9/22/22