Grants - Undergraduate

Main Page Content

In order to be considered for grant money awarded by the federal government, you need to complete the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application each year. If you are interested in finding out more information about the FAFSA, including how to apply and deadlines, please view the Applications and Deadlines page.

Federal Grants

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell grant is the foundation of Federal Student Aid. It is awarded to eligible undergraduate students working toward their first bachelors degree. Student eligibility is based on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC), calculated from information provided on the FAFSA.  Students with lower EFC have greater financial need, making them eligible for larger Federal Pell Grants. As a students’ EFC increases, there is less financial need, and the award amount of the Federal Pell Grant decreases. The amount of the Federal Pell Grant may be prorated based on a students’ enrollment status (full-time, part-time, full academic year attendance or less). Unlike many other types of aid, students who are enrolled less than half-time may be eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant.  The maximum Federal Pell Grant award amount is $6,495 for the 2021-2022 aid year..

In some cases, where a student may have received a Federal Pell grant at multiple schools over the past few years, SUNY Brockport may be required to verify that this Unusual Enrollment History (UEH) is valid and that the student is entitled to additional grant funds. A review of transcripts from prior schools is required to determine that actual academic credit(s) were received at the schools. In cases where it was not, the student could become ineligible for further funding. Students selected for review will be contacted by the Financial Aid Office if there is a UEH problem. Students wishing to appeal a loss of funding should address a letter of explanation to the Financial Aid Office.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

This campus based award program is awarded to students with exceptional financial need. Priority is given to those students with a Federal Pell Grant. Unlike Federal Pell Grants, the amount of FSEOG that a student can receive depends not only on their financial need but, also, on the amount of other aid they receive and the availability of funds at the institution. FSEOG award amounts can range from $100 to $4,000. You can apply for the FSEOG by filing your FAFSA.

Federal TEACH Grant

The Federal TEACH Grant provides up to $4,000 a year to students that are planning on teaching in particular high-need fields. In order for a student to receive this grant, they must agree to complete a service obligation by teaching in one of these fields and at a school that serves low-income students. If the teaching obligation is not completed, then the grant will convert to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford loan with interest charged from the date the original grant was received.

To qualify for this grant, you must:

  • Have scored above the 75th percentile of an academic achievement test (SAT Math or Verbal; ACT Math, Verbal or Composite; or GRE Verbal or Quantitative Reasoning, or the GRE Analytical Writing); OR
  • Maintain a 3.25 GPA at Brockport (freshmen must have earned a 3.25 GPA (87.5) in high school and then will have to maintain a 3.25 at Brockport).

For more detailed information, please refer to the Department of Education's TEACH Grant Fact Sheet. This will provide you with all the terms and conditions of the award, including valuable information for those recipients who are called to active military duty.

New York State Grants

NYS Aid for Part-time Study (APTS)

APTS is a grant program funded by New York State and is available to matriculated, part-time, undergraduate students who meet certain eligibility requirements. Generally, to be eligible to receive APTS a student must,

  • Be working toward an undergraduate degree as a part-time student taking a minimum of three, but less than 12 semester credit hours;
  • Be a resident of New York State;
  • Be either a US citizen, permanent resident alien, or refugee;
  • Meet the income limits (taxable income less than $50,550 for a dependent student or an independent student with dependents.  Taxable income less than $34,250 for an independent student without dependents);
  • Not have exhausted Tuition Assistance Program eligibility;
  • Have a tuition charge of at least $100 per year (after employee reimbursements and related grants);
  • Not be in default of a Federal Direct Stafford Loan or Federal Family Education Loan;
  • Must have a GPA of at least 2.0;
  • Submit all documentation by the published deadline.

Applications for APTS are available in the Financial Aid Office and online during the month of August and are generally due six weeks into the semester for which you are applying. APTS is not available for the summer semester.

NYS Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

The TAP grant is processed by Registration and Records. To find out more information concerning the NYS TAP program or other types of New York State aid, please visit their website or reach them by telephone at (585) 395-2531.

NYS Excelsior Scholarship Program

The Excelsior Scholarship Program is administered through the New York State Higher Educational Services Corporation (HESC). This program provides assistance up to the amount of tuition to New York State residents attending public (SUNY or CUNY) institutions. Further information is available from HESC or on our Excelsior webpage.

Last Updated 5/26/21