Skip Navigation

Interdisciplinary Arts for Children Program


Dance Specialty

 The Arts for Children Interdisciplinary Program functions in consortium with Brockport’s Departments of Art, Dance and Theatre (for theatre and music). Twenty-one (21) credits of the 48 credit major coursework are taken within one arts discipline — art, dance, music or theatre. This is referred to as the major’s specialty area. The deeper experiences arrived through discipline specific coursework ensure the future leader and teacher of children will have a national and state standards-based education in the arts.

Below is a listing of courses required for the dance specialty students. The Department of Dance has unique facilities where students use to learn the art of dance.

Note: Students wishing to major in Arts for Children with a dance specialty must contact the Department of Dance for information about the required entrance audition.

Note to New Students

All potential majors are advised individually by the Arts for Children program director. If interested in becoming an Arts for Children Interdisciplinary major, please contact the program secretary Carolyn Everett at or call (585) 395-5279 to set up an advising appointment. Also, please consult the current SUNY Brockport Undergraduate Studies Catalog for detailed program and course information.

Note to Transfer Students

Students who intend to transfer to SUNY Brockport should inquire regarding the
feasibility of transferring course credit from previous institutions to Brockport. Course credits may transfer to this institution but only those that are exact equivalents to courses listed below will be counted. For further information on transferring credits, see the Academic Planning Guide.

students dancing at Strong Museum

Dance Specialty Courses

Dance Course Requirements Page

Teacher Certification

A listing of additional coursework necessary for classroom teacher certification (Childhood Education) may be obtained from Brockport’s NCATE-accredited Department of Education and Human Development.

For more information on applying for and obtaining certification as a regular classroom teacher, contact the Teacher Certification Office.

We strongly encourage students who are not in the teacher certification track to select a second major in visual art, dance or theatre.