A Rare Artifact
A recent donation of an artifact from our "Collegiate Institute" days.
Some will recall Wayne Dedman, History, who wrote the history of our school in 1969, Cherishing This Heritage. (Available in the library, and also online, see the accompanying link.) Somewhere along the line in his years at Brockport (1945-1981), he acquired the artifact pictured here. After his death, a former student, John Kohena '80, who had become close to Dedman and his wife, handled their estate. Not long ago John contacted the archives saying that he had some materials of Dedman's that he wanted to donate. One item, a retirement dinner scrapbook, is proving invaluable as history is celebrating their 50th anniversary as a department. Another is this item.
It is is a heavy cast iron stamp that stands 4.5 inches high. You slip a piece of paper, perhaps stationary or an envelope etc. into the press, tap it, and the paper is imprinted with the stamp. (See attached pdf). The imprint conveniently allows for a close dating of the artifact, as it mentions a P. J. Williams, who was head of the school from 1861-1863. This was in the last years of our time as a private academy, a then common institution of higher education. Malcolm MacVicar, who succeeded Williams as head of the school, was instrumental in seeing through the transition from a private academy to State Normal School.
posted by ccowling [2017-11-28]
Charlie Cowling, email@example.com