Chemistry in the 1950s
Robert Brandauer, longtime chemistry professor.
Back in the 1950s the College was, as its own literature stated, a "single purpose" institution, and that purpose was teacher training. Later in the mid-1960s the College would as part of its ongoing expansion become a comprehensive liberal arts college, with various majors, such as chemistry for example. But before then we still were teaching chemistry here, to aspiring science teachers, and one of the faculty was Robert Brandauer, who taught here from 1946-1970.
In a 1947 Stylus article he is described as "...the man with a million dollar smile..." He had an MS in Chemistry from Cornell (1939,) and at the time was working on his doctorate. In a curious coincidence he had previously taught at Roberts College in Istanbul, where Professor Martin Rogers had also taught. Faculty like Brandauer were in from the beginning of that incredible arc the school traveled, from a small teachers college with less than 1,000 students to a major comprehensive institution with almost 10,000 students.
posted by ccowling [2018-04-05]
Charlie Cowling, firstname.lastname@example.org.