Assistant Professor – Physics Employment Opportunity
The Department of Physics at The College at Brockport seeks to hire an experimental physicist who is passionate about teaching and working with undergraduates in both the classroom and research lab.
The College at Brockport
The Department of Physics at The College at Brockport seeks to hire an experimental physicist who is passionate about teaching and working with undergraduates in both the classroom and research lab. The ideal candidate will be able to teach and develop courses across our curriculum while conducting research in a field that either complements or augments the department’s current strengths. The ability to offer opportunities for student development is key. Possible research areas include, but are not limited to, Applied Physics, Optics, Engineering Physics, Materials Physics, and observational Astrophysics. The new hire will have full access to departmental facilities and will be encouraged to collaborate with current faculty while contributing to the mission of the department. The position is a full-time, 10 month, tenure-track position slated to begin August 2019.
• Teach engaging classes across all levels of our curriculum.
• Conduct and publish research, attend conferences, and seek external funding for a research program that involves undergraduate students in a meaningful way.
• Contribute to growing the department through such efforts as the re-establishment of a dual-degree physics/engineering program.
• Participate in the ongoing revision of the curriculum, including new course development, updates of laboratory exercises to include new technology, and enhancement of lecture pedagogy.
• Ph.D. in Physics or related field from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting institution; an ABD candidate must earn a doctoral degree within six months of appointment
• Desire to teach at the undergraduate level, as evidenced by the candidate’s CV and teaching philosophy
• Evidence of engagement in productive research, including publishing peer-reviewed articles
• Potential for external funding, as well as for collaborating with current faculty and students
• Committed to increasing student diversity through teaching, mentoring, and/or engagement in high-impact educational practices
• Research interests which complement or augment ongoing departmental activities in surface science, low temperature physics, or astrophysics.
• Post-doctoral research experience.
• Experience in interdisciplinary research.
The Department of Physics recently celebrated its 50th anniversary at the College at Brockport. Our mission is to provide rigorous instruction in physics and astronomy at all levels, while giving our majors the necessary skills for modern jobs and graduate school. The department currently has approximately 20 majors, four full-time faculty, and offers a BS and a minor in Physics. Most of our graduates either attend graduate school for engineering or physics, or join the workforce directly as entry-level engineers. As we embark on our next 50 years, we are excited to expand and improve the ways that we serve our students: a new BS in Physics Secondary Education for high school teachers is being implemented, and we are developing a physics/engineering dual degree program. The Department has state-of-the-art equipment in the form of a Park Systems AFM, Quantum Design PPMS, and a new Spitz SciDome IQ2400 projector for the campus planetarium. Faculty and students at Brockport work closely in the classroom, research lab, and in service activities such as high-school recruitment and outreach efforts.
The College at Brockport, State University of New York, serves a diverse student body of over 7,100 undergraduate and 1,100 graduate students enrolled in 50 undergraduate majors and more than 50 masters’ programs, teacher certification programs and advanced graduate certificates supported by more than 750 instructional faculty and professional staff. The College is an inclusive learning community that inspires excellence through growth, engagement, and transformation. Located in western New York, the College benefits from a small town atmosphere located near major metropolitan cities; 16 miles west of Rochester, 45 miles east of Buffalo, and 140 miles from Toronto.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. We offer an excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, retirement, healthcare and dependent care savings accounts, life insurance, and disability insurances.
Review of application materials will begin on October 31, 2018 and application materials will continue to be accepted until the position is filled. To ensure full consideration, please submit your applications materials no later than October 31, 2018. Interested candidates should apply online at jobs.brockport.edu.
Application Materials Required
For consideration, please submit: 1.) Letter of Application; 2.) Curriculum Vitae; 3.) List of 3 to 5 references; 4.) Statement of Teaching Philosophy (2 pages max); 5.) Research Statement explaining how you plan to include undergraduate students in your research (3 pages max); and, 6.) 2 to 3 Letters of Recommendation sent directly to email@example.com
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are part of an academic community committed to fostering integrity, civility, and justice. We affirm that the dignity of our Brockport community is protected when free speech, academic freedom and individual rights are expressed within a climate of civility and mutual respect. Striving to learn from each other, we value human diversity because it enriches our lives and it is fundamental to the College’s commitment to teaching, learning, scholarship and service leading to student success.
The College at Brockport, State University of New York is an AA/EEO/ADA employer. The College actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the College.
posted by mmorey [2018-09-25]
Office of Human Resources 395-2126