Financial Aid Advisor Employment Opportunity
Financial Aid Advisor
The College at Brockport
The Financial Aid Advisor is responsible for advising students as to the availability and types of financial aid available on a daily basis. The successful incumbent will also be responsible for the day to day verification and processing of student financial aid packages and will assist in the coordination of the Veterans Affairs Office.
Advises students and parents as to the availability of student aid, types of student aid, processing procedures and other consumer information as it relates to student aid.
• Applies knowledge of the eligibility requirements of all aid programs, program procedures, as well as institutional procedures for aid programs.
• Assists in the development and maintenance of good written communication geared to our customers in the form of brochures, flyers, etc., as requested.
• Addresses and resolves potential problems and difficulties in processing aid.
Performs needs analysis and packaging of student aid.
• Ensures the philosophy behind needs analysis is included in decision-making and financial aid packaging.
• Follows the components that comprise the federal methodology.
• Verifies data provided by student is accurate in Banner.
• Verifies that all documents in the student's file are indexed to the students file.
• Requests clarification of discrepant data, if needed, using the procedures determined by the Financial Aid Office.
• Verifies that the financial aid package has been calculated correctly.
• Accurately describes the financial aid package to students/parents explaining aid programs and amounts
• Effectively repackage a financial aid package based upon new information received.
Provides support to staff and students in the proper processing and awarding and coordination of the various programs.
• Provides accurate and timely communication to Financial Aid Office staff.
• Maintains accurate processing procedures.
• Attends informational meetings, workshops and other professional development activities.
Supports admissions and retention activities as they relate to student aid, i.e. high school presentations, Open Houses, and other presentations as needed.
• Provides attendance at meetings of high school counselors, parents and/or student to explain student aid.
• Develops presentations suitable for specific gatherings of people who are interested or who want to be better informed about student aid.
• Counsels on a confidential basis with parents who may have specific or unique concerns in applying for student aid.
• Maintains ongoing communication with incoming/returning students.
Assists the Coordinator of Veteran Affairs.
• Serves as a certifying official.
• Serves as a liaison with the Federal Department of Veterans Affairs.
• Assumes administrative responsibility of the Office of Veteran Affairs.
• Counsels students who have specific questions/concerns as it relates to Veterans Benefits.
• Bachelor's Degree required from an accredited US Department of Education or internationally recognized institution.
• Experience working in a Financial Aid Office.
• Experience in the packaging of financial aid and advisement of students.
• Knowledge of federal and state financial aid regulations.
• Experience with the Ellucian software system or similar financial aid software systems.
• Experience with the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program.
• Ability to work with a culturally diverse population.
• Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal and organizational skills.
• Experience working in a SUNY college setting.
• Multiple years' experience with Ellucian Banner system.
• Experience with document imaging systems.
• Experience with the administration of Veteran Affairs Programs, including serving as a certifying official and a liaison with the federal Department of Veteran Affairs.
The College at Brockport, State University of New York, serves a diverse student body of over 7,100 undergraduate and 1,100 graduate students enrolled in 50 undergraduate majors and more than 50 masters’ programs, teacher certification programs and advanced graduate certificates supported by more than 750 instructional faculty and professional staff. The College is an inclusive learning community that inspires excellence through growth, engagement, and transformation. Located in western New York, the College benefits from a small town atmosphere located near major metropolitan cities; 16 miles west of Rochester, 45 miles east of Buffalo, and 140 miles from Toronto.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. We offer an excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurances, retirement, healthcare and dependent care savings accounts, life insurance, and generous paid time off.
Please visit jobs.brockport.edu to complete an application including your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references. Review of application materials will begin immediately and application materials will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
The College at Brockport, State University of New York is an AA/EEO/ADA employer. The College actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the College.
posted by mmorey [2018-09-25]
Office of Human Resources, 395-2126