Frequently Asked Questions

Main Page Content

For Faculty / Instructors

If I own a video or DVD of a movie or TV program, can I make copies for my students so they can watch it when they have time?
No; you can either place the copy on reserve or show it in the classroom. However, if it is an on-line or distance learning class that does not meet in a classroom, you can show the item via the web, provided you:
  • do it through course management or other software that limits viewing to those registered for the class
  • remove the item at the end of the semester or when all the students have viewed it.
I recorded a program from television that I'd like to use for a class; can I put it on reserve?
No; you can show it in the classroom within 10 days of recording it. Congress further states that the recording must be destroyed after 45 days.
Can I upload an entire book for my students to access on ANGEL? How many chapters of a published document can I make available to my students on ANGEL?
No, you cannot upload an entire book. In general, Fair Use guidelines would limit you to no more than a single chapter of a book.
But the book is out of print and not easily available, and I really need it for this course.
Even though the book is out of print, you generally cannot upload the entire item to ANGEL. However, you could place the book itself on reserve at the Drake Memorial Library.
How can I provide appropriate access to periodical or journal articles for my students on ANGEL?
If the article is available online through one of our subscription databases, you can link to the article from your course page. This will allow the entire class to view it at their own pace without you having to worry about copyright clearance. If the article is not available online, but we own the print copy of the journal, the Circulation/Reserves desk in the Drake Memorial Library can assist you in scanning the article and loading it to your webpage. Please allow a minimum of 2 weeks for this service. If you have access to a scanner, you can also scan and upload the article yourself, provided you follow Copyright guidelines: no more than 1 article from an issue of a journal or periodical.

Downloading and Copying Music & Media

How do I know what's legal and what's not when it comes to copying music?
Unless you can verify that an item is in the public domain, it's probably protected by copyright. Downloading, sharing, burning CD's or other formats are all illegal unless you have the permission of the copyright holder.
Are there sites that legally offer music for downloading?
Yes. Click here for more information.
What if I want to burn the music from some of my CD's to my iPOD or MP3 player, or if I want to make a mix for my party?
That would be considered fair use, as you already own the items and are changing the format for your own use.
After I've loaded the music onto my iPOD, can I sell my CD's since I won't need them anymore?
No; legally, you can only retain the music on your iPOD for as long as you own the CD's.
What if I want to make a mix for my friend and e-mail it to him, or upload it to his iPOD?
That's not considered fair use; you can only copy things that you own, for your own use.
What about movies? Can I send a short clip to a friend?
Short clips, 30 seconds or less, are considered acceptable.
If I find a website that has what I want for free, can’t I download it? It would be the website owners who are breaking the law, not me.
If you download music or video from a site that is using it illegally, you can be prosecuted.

Last Updated 8/28/17

Close mobile navigation