Find tips and helpful resources as you search for off-campus housing.
Main Page Content
Give yourself enough time.
- Keep in mind that although more rentals become available in the Brockport area in June and September, more people are also searching for housing at this time.
- Begin your search 4 to 6 weeks prior to your move-in date, if possible.
- If you are interested in living in one of the large apartment complexes near the college, contact their leasing offices more than 6 weeks in advance, since they often have waiting lists.
Decide what kind of housing you're looking for.
- Consider what you want in a property
- Compare each neighborhood's average rental rates
- Check out a list of local apartment complexes and a map.
Prepare a tenant's resume.
- Bring a tenant's resume with you when you begin searching. It contains background information that landlords will want to know and shows them that you are a responsible tenant.
- Use this sample tenant resume to help you prepare your own.
Search the Brockport Off-campus Housing listings
- Find out how to get a list of off-campus housing from the Brockport Student Government. If you are a student, you will need to enter your PIN and your name.
- If you will be living with roommates, ask them to help you read the listings and make calls about properties.
- Search through newspaper and Internet classified listings
Be sure to check back daily on the listings that interest you. Don't get discouraged if you don't find exactly what you want the first time around.
- Many landlords post "for rent" signs on their properties. Watch for them as you drive through neighborhoods you'd like to live in.
- Let you friends and family know you are looking for a place to live. They may know someone who has a room or apartment for rent.