Main Page Content


How do I get my records from the Health Center sent to my doctor?

You will need to fill out a release form and fax  (585-395-2559) it or e-mail ( it to the Student Health Center.


How do I check if my immunizations records have been received?

Who is required to provide immunization records?

What about the meningitis vaccine?

How do I get my immunization records?

See the Immunization Requirements page for answers to these questions.

Who gets to use the Student Health Center?

The Student Health Center is open to all The College at Brockport students. The Campus Health Center fee is a mandatory charge. In addition to supporting the operation of the Campus Health Center, the fee is used to promote many health and wellness programs conducted for the benefit of students. The Campus Health Center Fee is not health insurance and is mandatory for all students except those study abroad students participating in an overseas program. The Campus Health Center Fee cannot be waived.

For summer office visits: A $20 office visit charge will be placed on the student's account, if student is not registered for summer classes, but will be returning in the fall semester.

How do I get seen in the Student Health Center?

Students are encouraged to make appointments, but can be seen during walk-in hours Monday – Friday, 8 am – 11 am. Appointments can be scheduled Monday – Friday, 9 am – 4:30 pm. Emergencies will be evaluated as needed.

Do students work in the Student Health Center?

The Student Health Center is a clinical site for students in undergraduate nursing and athletic training programs. We also serve as clinical preceptors for non-Brockport graduate nurse practitioner students. Your consent is required to allow a student to participate in or observe your care.

All students doing clinical practice or working in Hazen have received training specific to health standards, including confidentiality, policies and procedures. They work directly under the supervision and guidance of the professionally licensed clinical staff.

What supplies should I bring to college?

For many students, college is the first time they will be living without their parents or guardians. For information on how best to be prepared for minor illnesses/injuries while away at college, check out our Healthy College List.

What Is the Truth about STDs?

RUMOR has it . . . And it's NOT true

Brockport does NOT have the highest rates of STDs of any college, anywhere!

  • In fact, there is no contest.
  • Sure, we have students who contract something they wish they hadn’t.
  • However, this is no more frequent a diagnosis at Brockport than at any other college.

Let's just deal with the facts: Center for Disease Control STD Facts.

What about a pre-entrance physical?

Any student planning to participate in NCAA Athletics is required to have a pre-entrance physical within 6 months of entering The College at Brockport.

For all other students, a pre-entrance physical is not required, but is highly recommended. This along with your medical history is important so that we can provide the best possible health care for you.

More information

NOTE: Pre-entrance physicals CANNOT be done at The College at Brockport Student Health Center. If you don't have a primary care physician, we can refer you to one locally. Remember, it can take several weeks to get an appointment, so plan ahead.

Do I need a physical every year?

No! However, many students will need a physical for employment, travel or ROTC. These can be done at the Student Health Center at no extra charge.

NCAA athletes are required to have a pre-entrance physical within 6 months of entering The College at Brockport, then complete an online health assessment form each year they continue their sport. The initial pre-entrance physical is good for 5 years.

Where can I get allergy shots?

The preferred option is to continue with your allergist or current doctor. If you are a distance from home and that option is not feasible for you, our local allergists, Dr. Thomas Adler and Dr. Anitha Shrikhande, will be able to provide this service for you. Their office, Westside Allergy Care, is located in Brockport, 18 Graves Street, near Strong West, within a mile of campus.

You will need to contact Westside Allergy Care at (585) 637-3910 to arrange a visit before you receive injections. They will review your doctor’s treatment recommendations and your current injection schedule. Please bring copies of your last doctor’s exam, serum and instruction sheets. Their staff will work with your insurance as well as arranging appointment times for your injections. Your usual copay for office visits will apply.

Please be sure you schedule your initial appointment with Westside Allergy Care BEFORE your shots are needed to ensure that you continue to receive timely injections. You must complete the outside patient form before you can be seen by them.

What do I do if the Health Center is closed and I have a medical question or concern?

When the Student Health and Counseling Centers are closed, we have contracted with a nurse advice line, FONEMED to answer medical questions and concerns. Registered nurses with FONEMED are available to talk with students to help them determine whether they should:

  • seek immediate medical or psychological evaluation at a local Emergency Department
  • schedule an appointment with Health or Counseling Services on campus
  • utilize self-care strategies.

FONEMED is intended for medical advice only. Please note that they are NOT located on-campus and do not have access to your personal medical record. Therefore, they cannot tell you your immunization compliance, call in prescriptions or provide your lab or x-ray results.

After regular office hours, Brockport students can contact FONEMED by calling the Student Health Center at (585) 395-2414 and follow the instructions to connect with FONEMED.

A summary of each call will be faxed to the Student Health Center to ensure proper follow up care.

What is a nurse practitioner?

A nurse practitioner (NP) is a registered nurse with advanced academic and clinical experience, which enables him or her to:

  • Diagnose and manage most common and chronic illnesses, either independently or as part of a health care team.
  • Take medical histories and perform physical examinations.
  • Prescribe medications, order laboratory/diagnostic tests.
  • Work in collaboration with a physician.

NP practice focuses on:

  • Health maintenance.
  • Disease prevention.
  • Counseling and patient education.

With a strong emphasis on primary care, nurse practitioners are employed with a wide variety of specialties.

Most are educated through programs that grant a master's degree. An intensive preceptorship under the direct supervision of a physician or an experienced nurse practitioner, as well as expanded education in physical assessment, pathophysiology, pharmacology and social theory are key components to most NP programs.

American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP), 1998

Last Updated 8/10/18

Close mobile nav