Main Page Content
- Must be a full-time matriculated undergraduate with 12-18 credits per semester at the time of appointment.
- Must have an overall GPA of 2.5 for your Brockport Institutional credits at the time of appointment. Transfer credits WILL NOT be taken into account.
- Must have a minimum of one semester as an enrolled student at The College at Brockport at the time of appointment.
- Must be in good disciplinary (student conduct) standing at The College at Brockport at time of appointment.
- Must be 18 years of age or older at the time of appointment.
- Recommended to have one semester of on-campus living.
- Must be able to hold the position for at least two consecutive semesters.
- Must complete within first year (highly preferred to complete first semester) as a Resident Assistant with a grade of C or better: EDC 302 Achieving Helping Relationships in the College Residence Halls.
- Cannot student teach, participate in an internship, or perform a field experience that requires more than 15 hours weekly, while holding a student staff position.
- May not hold a position of outside employment without prior written approval from your Resident Director.
Remuneration (Subject to Change)
- Full room waiver
- Partial board waiver
- *This will be determined based on the student population you work with.
** For those applicants receiving financial aid, please check with the Financial Aid Office to see how this position may affect your financial aid.
Every candidate must attend one Information Session. Information sessions are scheduled as follows:
|Monday, October 30th 9:30 PM||
MacVicar Smart Classroom
|Thursday, November 2nd 6:00 PM||McFarlane 1st Floor Lounge|
|Tuesday, November 7th 6:00 PM||
Thompson Smart Classroom
|Wednesday, November 15th 9:30 PM||McLean 1st Floor Lounge|
|Monday, November 20th 9:30 PM||Seymour Union, Room 187|
|Tuesday, November 21st 6:00 PM||Perry 1st Floor Lounge|
|Tuesday, November 28th 8:00 PM||
Mortimer 1st floor lounge
|Wednesday, December 6th 9:30 PM||Benedict/Dobson Lounge|
|Tuesday, January 23rd 6:00 PM||Harmon/Gordon Lounge|
|Wednesday, January 31st 9:30 PM||Briggs 1st floor lounge|
|Friday, February 2nd 4:00PM||McLean 1st Floor Lounge|
- All Applications open on Wednesday, November 1, 2017 (9:30 PM).
- Applications for Priority Deadline (potential placement for Spring ’18) must be received
by Sunday, November 19, 2017 (11:59pm).
- All other candidates for Fall 2018 must fill out an application after attending an
information session. All applications for Fall 2018 are due (electronically- at the
link below: The 2018/2019 New RA Application!) Friday, February 2, 2018 (11:59PM)
- RETURNING & SRA candidates for Fall 2018 must fill out Returning RA and Senior RA Application. All RETURNING
& SRA applications for Fall 2018 are due (electronically – at the link below: The
2018/2019 Returning RA and Senior RA Application!) Sunday, February 11, 2018 (11:59PM)
- Every candidate must submit one recommendation form. All Forms of Recommendation are
due (electronically) Friday, February 2, 2018 (11:59PM)
- Each qualifying candidate will have an interview on Friday, February 16, 2018 (9:00AM-5:00PM).
- Every candidate must participate in Group Process. Group Process is scheduled for Saturday, February 17, 2018 (8:00AM) (Union Ballroom).
- Candidates will be notified of status/placement on Friday, March 23, 2018. All status letters will be sent to your BROCKPORT email address.
The following prompts will be asked in the online application. You will not be able to start your application and return to it at a later date. Please review these prompts and be prepared to answer them when completing your application.
New RA Application question prompts:
- What are the most important functions of a Resident Assistant?
- What is a residential community and how would you build it as a Resident Assistant?
- What are some of the challenges students living on-campus face? How would you address these challenges as an Resident Assistant?
- As a Resident Assistant, what would you do to create an inclusive environment where all students feel safe, valued and respected as members of the campus community?
- As a Resident Assistant, how would you contribute to the personal, academic, and social success of students in your community?
Returning RA Application question prompts:
- What skills have you learned in your Resident Assistant position that will assist you in your post-college career?
- What actions can you take to create and maintain a positive staff morale throughout the academic year?
- How do you intend to personally avoid burnout and remain motivated?
- As a Resident Assistant, how do you support the Mission statement of the Office of Residential Life/Learning Communities?
- Please list and explain:
- Your accomplishments as a current staff member.
- The contributions you plan to make in the upcoming year.
SRA Presentation prompts (presentations/interviews will be scheduled the week of February 12, 2018):
- Why are you interested in the Senior RA position and how does it relate to your long term goals?
- What are three things you hope to achieve by being a Senior RA? How will these things benefit you, your staff, and/or your residents?
- In what ways would the Senior RA position be different from being an RA? How would you balance taking more initiative, staying positive, and setting a tone for your staff and residents?
- As a Senior RA, describe how you would support your Resident Director and staff members. Describe an educational program that you would like to initiate with your Resident Director. How would this program benefit your community?
- Please give one example of an Office, Department or individual that you've successfully collaborated with in the past. Share why this collaboration was successful and what you gained from this experience.
SRA Presentation Requirements:
- Provide the committee with a copy of your resume.
- Must use a visual aid to present with (e.g. video testimonials from residents, pictures on poster board of things you have done, PowerPoint, Prezi, etc.).
- Presentations must be 15-20 minutes in length. The final 10-15 minutes will be for further questioning from the committee and questions from the candidate for the committee.
For questions regarding the RA Selection Application Process, please contact the RA Selection Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org