2nd Year Residency Requirement

Main Page Content

The College at Brockport has student success as its highest priority and recognizes the connection between on-campus living and persistence to graduation.

Please review this site in its entirety. 

This form will be available January 1st 2020 and will close at 11:59PM on May 15th 2020. The only applications that will be reviewed after May 15 are: Approved Temporary Academic Leave OR Transfer and Student involvement in a College‑sponsored academic program such as student teaching, study abroad, or other program, if the obligations demand residency 30 miles or more from campus

It is the policy of the College that all first-time* college students live on campus for their first four consecutive semesters of study (three semesters for Spring admits).

*First-time college students are those who are attending a college or university for the first time. College credits earned while in high school, either through college courses or testing, do not count as college attendance, nor does enrollment in a college summer session between high school and enrollment at Brockport.

Exemption from the Residency Requirement is given to students who are married, single parents, veterans, 21 years of age or older, or commuting from the home of a parent or guardian. Students seeking exemption from the policy must submit:

Application for Exemption from Second Year Residency Requirement

The application for Exemption will go live on January 1st, 2020

The Director of Residential Life/Learning Communities or designee must approve all requests for exemption from the Residency Requirement. The Office of Residential Life/Learning Communities encourages students to meet with Financial Aid representatives to see how living off-campus could potentially impact any financial aid/scholarships that are awarded.

Types of Requests and Required Documentation

Release from this agreement is permitted only under specific and/or exceptional circumstances approved by the Office of Residential Life/Learning Communities:

Justification  Required Documentation
Commuting from home of parent(s) or guardianr within 30 mile radius of campus*

Notarized Verification of Residence with parent or legal guardians signature (this form can be found here)


Please note that your approval mid-year release is based on the condition that you reside at the residence listed on the verification of residence, and this residence only, for the entire spring term. Should your arrangement change, you must notify the Office of Residential Life/Learning Communities and will be required to move into College owned housing

Marriage Marriage License or other appropriate documentation
Parent Birth certificate of dependent
Veteran Status Copy of DD 214 form

Written description of medical condition that includes negative impact of residential environment and description of proposed alternative.  The Hazen Center for Integrated Care or Student Accessibility Services may be contacted to verify diagnosed medical condition, the impact of the residential environment and feasibility of addressing student concerns. The documentation must completed by a licensed health care professional (i.e. physician, psychologist, psychiatrist, social worker) who has treated the student.


The College will make all efforts to provide reasonable accommodations to meet student medical needs.


Before applying for a dietary exemption, students must read and understand BASC's special dietary needs section of their website. That website may be accessed here.

Once that page is reviewed, students will also need to review their section on meal plan accommodations. This link may be found at the bottom of the page regarding special dietary needs.


A committee consisting of representatives from the following areas: BASC Dining Services, Hazen Center for Integrated Care, Residential Life & Learning Communities, and Student Accessibility Services will review each meal plan accommodation request. Given the ability to accommodate a wide range of dietary needs, an exemption from participation in the meal plan is rare and will only be considered when needs cannot be met by Dining Services.


Note: general dissatisfaction will not be reason for approval.

Student involvement in a College sponsored academic
program such as Study Abroad, or other program,
if the obligations demand residency 30 miles or more from campus 

Written (an email) verification from your advisor & acceptance letter into the program.

Your advisor can email housing@brockport.edu Attn: Housing Release

Temporary Academic Leave/Transfer/ Withdrawal

Completing the Temporary Academic Leave Request

If you are transferring, please also submit your letter of acceptance.

If you are taking a Temporary Academic Leave or Transferring, the Office of Residential Life/Learning Communities will check your registration status for the 2019 and 2020 semester(s). If you are registered for classes, we will assign you to College owned housing and charge your student bill accordingly. 
Extraordinary Personal Circumstance* A typed document stating why student can no longer live on campus. This letter should accompany any documentation student believes would help in the decision process. All extraordinary personal circumstances will be reviewed by the Director of Residential Life or their designee, the Assistant Director for Housing..

Demonstration of an extraordinary change in financial condition beyond student's resource base, which cannot be remedied through existing College financial aid programs. Students who qualify for loans and other types of aid, but choose not to accept, will not be granted a financial release. 

The following items MUST accompany the students application for release:

  • Student Aid Report (this can be found in WebBanner)
  • A copy of the student's Financial Aid Award Screen (this also can be found in WebBanner)
  • A written narrative explaining the financial need
  • Any other supporting documentation that the student feels would help support their case. Documentation could include a copy of the students FAFSA.

If you are having trouble locating these two documents, you may call the Financial Aid Office. Applications that are received without this information will not be reviewed until a complete packet is received.

Note: the ability to save money by living off campus is not a justification for exemption.

Note: Unless you receive approval of this request, your student status requires compliance with the housing policy. Alternative arrangements for housing, including a lease commitment, will not be considered sufficient reason for approval of this request. If you enter into a lease or other arrangement for off campus housing and have not been released from your Housing Agreement, you will be paying rent in two locations. Second-Year Release Applications received after May 1st 2020 will not be considered for review.If your reason is denied, and you fail to pay your deposit and fill out an application, The Office of Residential Life will assign you to a Residence Hall, and charges will be added to your student bill. 


  1. Make an appointment with your Resident Director to discuss and review policy. After you submit your application, your Resident Director may reach out to you to discuss your application.
  2. All requests for release from the Second Year Residency Requirement must be submitted on the online form.
  3. Each request must be accompanied by relevant supporting documentation (i.e. medical circumstances verified by Health Services, information regarding extreme changes in family financial situations as verified by the Financial Aid Office, etc.). Incomplete request packages will not be reviewed until all appropriate documentation is submitted. It is the students responsibility to make sure their request packet is complete.
  4. Each request will be reviewed by Residential Life staff in consultation with your Resident Director or Townhomes Coordinator. Residential Life staff will inform the applicant in writing of the decision. All decisions will be sent to your Brockport email address

The Office of Residential Life/Learning Communities encourages students to meet with Financial Aid representatives to see how living off-campus could potentially impact any financial aid/scholarships that are awarded. 

Response to Student Timeline

If a complete* packet is submitted by..... Student will receive a response in their Brockport email by...
January 31st at 5pm February 14th at 5pm
February 14th at 5pm February 28th at 5pm
February 28th at 5pm March 13th at 5pm
March 13th at 5pm March 27th at 5pm
March 27th at 5pm April 10th at 5pm
After April 10th at 5pm Applications will be responded to as time allows
After May 1st Applications will no longer be considered.

*a complete packet includes all appropriate and supporting documentation. If an application is received without appropriate and supporting documentation, the application will not be reviewed until all documentation is submitted. If you are having trouble uploading documentation to the MachForm application, please email the documentation to housing@brockport.edu


If your original request is denied, you have an option to appeal the decision. All appeals must be in writing to housing@brockport.edu and submitted within 7 business days of the decision letter. If you plan on appealing your decision, new documentation must be submitted with the appeal letter. This will be complied with your initial paperwork. All appeals will be reviewed by the Director of Residential Life/Learning Communities or their designee.


Verification of Residence

Last Updated 7/1/20

Close mobile navigation