Residency Requirement

The College at Brockport has student success as its highest priority and recognizes the connection between on-campus living and persistence to graduation.

Main Page Content

It is the policy of the College that all first-time* college students live on campus for their first four consecutive semesters of study (three semesters for Spring admits).

* First-time college students are those who are attending a college or university for the first time. College credits earned while in high school, either through college courses or testing, do not count as college attendance, nor does enrollment in a college summer session between high school and enrollment at Brockport.

Exemption from the Residency Requirement is given to students who are married, single parents, veterans, 21 years of age or older, or commuting from the home of a parent or guardian. Students seeking exemption from the policy must submit the Application for Exemption from Second Year Residency Requirement, including necessary documentation, to the Office of Residential Life/Learning Communities. The Director of Residential Life/Learning Communities or designee must approve all requests for exemption from the Residency Requirement.

You can apply for an exemption, by clicking here.

The Office of Residential Life/Learning Communities encourages students to meet with Financial Aid representatives to see how living off-campus could potentially impact any financial aid/scholarships that are awarded.

Types of Requests and Required Documentation

Release from this agreement is permitted only under specific and/or exceptional circumstances approved by the Office of Residential Life/Learning Communities:

Justification Required Documentation

Commuting from home of parent(s) or immediate family member within 30 mile radius of campus

Notarized Verification of Residence (Form located at the bottom of this page)

Marriage: Marriage license

Marriage License or other appropriate documentation

Parent Birth certificate of dependent

Veteran Status

Copy of DD 214 form


Written description of condition (by a licensed medical care provider) that includes negative impact of residential environment and description of proposed alternative. Documentation from the Hazen Center for Integrated Care is also strongly recommended.


BASC Representative must indicate Dining Services’ inability to meet your dietary needs. Note: general dissatisfaction will not be reason for approval

Student involvement in a College sponsored academic
program such as study abroad, or other program,
if the obligations demand residency 30 miles or more from campus

Written (an email) verification from your advisor & acceptance letter into the program.

Your advisor can email Attn: Housing Release

Temporary Academic Leave/Transfer/ Withdrawal

Completing the Temporary Academic Leave request at:

If you are transferring, please also submit your letter of acceptance.
Extraordinary Personal Circumstance*

A typed document stating why you can no longer live on campus. This letter should accompany any documentation you think would help in the decision process

All extraordinary personal circumstances will be reviewed by the Director of Residential Life or their designee, the Assistant Director for Housing


Demonstration of an extraordinary change in financial condition beyond student's resource base, which cannot be remedied through existing College financial aid programs. Students who qualify for loans and other types of aid, but choose not to accept, will not be granted a financial release. 

The following items MUST accompany the students application for release:

  • Student Aid Report (this can be found in WebBanner)
  • A copy of the student's Financial Aid Award Screen (this also can be found in WebBanner)
  • A written narrative explaining the financial need
  • Any other supporting documentation that the student feels would help support their case.

If you are having trouble locating these two documents, you may call the Financial Aid Office. Applications that are received without this information will not be reviewed until a complete packet is received.

Note: the ability to save money by living off campus is not a justification for exemption.

Note: Unless you receive approval of this request, your student status requires compliance with the housing policy. Alternative arrangements for housing, including a lease commitment, will not be considered sufficient reason for approval of this request. If you enter into a lease or other arrangement for off campus housing and have not been released from your Housing Agreement, you will be paying rent in two locations. If your reason is denied, and you fail to pay your deposit and fill out an application, The Office of Residential Life will assign you to a Residence Hall, and charges will be added to your student bill.

Response Timeline: It is the goal of the Office of Residential Life/Learning Communities to provide the highest level of customer service when responding to second year residency requests.

If you turn in your release application between… You will receive an email response around…
Now and February 2, 2018 February 16, 2018
February 2 and February 16 March 2, 2018
February 16 and March 2 March 23, 2018
March 2 and March 23 April 13, 2018
March 23 and Apri l 13 May 4, 2018
Anything after April 13 TBD


Appeals: If your original request is denied, all appeals must be in writing and submitted within 7 business days of the decision letter to the Office of Residential Life, at the following address:

The Office of Residential Life/Learning Communities
Attn: Second Year Residency Appeal
Thompson Hall
350 New Campus Drive
Brockport, NY 14420

If you plan on appealing your decision, new documentation must be submitted with the appeal letter. This will be complied with your initial paperwork.

Forms and Research:

Application for Exemption and Policy

Second Year Residency Data

Verification of Residence

Questions? Contact

Last Updated 11/21/17

Close mobile nav