Main Page Content
Student Intern Tuition Waivers
The Budgeting Office is responsible for processing the waiver payments for student intern sponsors. Below you will find guidelines for both Social Work and Critic Teacher Waivers. If you have any questions on the guidelines below or in regards to your waiver, please contact Mary Covell.
Social Work Tuition Waiver Guidelines
- Tuition Waivers are considered taxable income. Therefore, any waiver(s) valued at $600 or more in a calendar year has to be reported to the IRS, and a 1099 MISC (Miscellaneous Income) form will be generated.
- This certificate is non-transferable and may not be transferred to staff or family. Only the person issued the waiver certificate may use it.
- This certificate waives only the cost of the tuition and does not include any other fee added by the institution offering the course. Additional costs and fees are the responsibility of the person using the certificate.
- The certificate is good for 25 months from the date of issuance. The date of expiration ordinarily may not be extended. (An exception would be for military service or if the institution cancels a course, then delays the recipient's opportunity to use the certificate.)
- The certificate may be used at any State-Operated unit of State University. The waiver certificate cannot be applied to a private college.
- No cash or waiver refund will be provided if a waiver is submitted for less than the issued credit hours. (e.g. A student has a three credit hour waiver and registers for a two-hour course, the student will not receive any cash or waiver refund.)
- The college clinical professor will provide the college with a list of persons who are to receive tuition waiver certificates.
- No waiver will be issued until the following information is provided for the issuing
- Name, home address, and social security number of waiver recipient
- Agency and address
- Name of student
- Semester and school year
Critic Teacher Waiver Guidelines
- The value of this waiver is $250.
- The waiver of tuition is valid at any state-operated unit of State University.
- In the event the named teacher chooses not to use this certificate, the waiver of tuition portion may be transferred to the school district in which service as a supervising/critic teacher was rendered, for use by other professional staff members of this school district.
- Selection of alternate employees shall be by the chief administrative officer of the establishment.
- The waiver of tuition certificate does not exempt the holder from fees and/or charges other than the amount of tuition specified.
- The receipt of a tuition waiver may be subject to federal, state, or local income tax. If you have any questions with regards to the taxability, consult your personal tax advisor.